LegacyGT.com

Summer Tire Limitations

spect2k

Due to some problems that I am having with my winter setup combined with being laid off, I am looking at putting on my summer setup a bit earlier than I should (I can't afford to replace some damaged tires).

My question here is about the limitations (weather-wise) of running summer tires. I live in CT and I know that it is deadly to run summer tires in the snow. Assuming the roads are dry, is it possible to run summer tires in temps as low as 20 degrees? How about the rain, any temperature limitations there? I assume the tires will harden when the temperatures get cold, I am wondering how badly that affects the traction on dry roads and in the rain. Any info would be great, preferably from those with experience here. Thanks!

Some summer tires are specifically rated to warmer temps and are more prone to crack or tear at low temperatures. I have never experienced this. I occasionally drive my other car which only has summer tires on it in cold weather and it is definitly slippery until the tires warm up a bit. (Its a nissan 240sx) I avoid rain, snow, and sand like my life depends on it. In short its probably ok for a temporary solution, but definitly not safe for snow, ice, and they would probably be more dangerous in the rain/wet in cold conditions.

A true summer tire begins to harden around 50F. As you get closer to freezing they become so hard, they lose traction.

It can be as bad as driving on ice, even though the pavement is dry. Depends on the tire.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I can vouch for the fact that RE050 are absolutely horrible in the cold.

Made the mistake last year of swapping out my winter wheels too early and got caught out of town in a storm. Quite a scary experience just going out 3-4 miles to pick up supper.

Fortunately it was warm and the snow was melted the next day by the time I had to drive home.

Be careful and try to keep those winters on as long as you can.

Don't even risk it. I had the scare of my life running my SpecB stock summers on the cold. They are like driving on ICE. Even if its light snow, they have absolutely NO grip. Lets put it this way, I was scared enough time in one week with just light dustings of snow, (I live in Vancouver BC, where it hardly ever snows) that I went out and bought dedicated winters and wheels that same week. The regular Legacy GT stock rubber can make it through ok, but the SpecB RE050A is a sure smash up waiting to happen in any winter conditions.

If you can't afford to keep both sets, I'd get rid of both and get a decent all season like the Nokian WRG2. You'll be happy year round with those.

It was snowing in Atlanta today, and I had to run an errand. My car has RE-01R's, so I was a bit apprehensive about going out. However, I didn't experience any loss of grip at all. As long as you're careful and mindful of the road conditions, you shouldn't have any trouble with the occasional cold weather spell. I also haven't noticed any cracking or anything happening on the tires, but I presume that will happen only after extended exposure to the cold.

They do in fact suck.....but I drove on those exact summers with only a fourth tread left (paying for a wedding...ughh)...average temps of 32ish during a season where we had the most snow in a long time and it drove fine for me...even through the occasional snow roads....though don't stop you wont be able to start if it is really cold and in a storm :lol:.

Use normal snow driving sense which means: drive slow, avoid any hills, use brakes as little as possible, and do not take her out in storms at night. In my opinion...yes my opinion may not be others...she will work fine as a daily driver if the roads are clear.

I will now wait to be flamed...:hide:

last winter i drove all winter on 050's because I didnt have money to not do so, they werent great in the snow but I got by in the cold and didnt crash... Just have to take it easy in bad winter and test the limits safely so you know where they are

last winter i drove all winter on 050's because I didnt have money to not do so, they werent great in the snow but I got by in the cold and didnt crash... Just have to take it easy in bad winter and test the limits safely so you know where they are

Who is the hotty in your avatar CTATV? :spin:

I think we are missing the original question. I am not and will not drive these tires in the any snow whatsoever.

My question is about driving these summer tires in the (1)cold, but on dry pavement and (2) in the cold, but on wet pavement (rain)

Good input on the snow though, deadly it sounds like.

do whatever you want. seems like you're going to anyway. the summer tires will be fine as long as the roads are ice and snow free. just note that you might want to take it easy until the tires are warm.

Nate

I would think that should you stay away from snow and ice you should be okay. Just remember your limitations.

My other car is a 97 Miata with Kook RS2s. I typically drive it right up until first snowfall before switching to my winter tires. On cold days, spirited driving can become an ordeal. Almost a greasy feeling when traction starts to go.

I have driven in snow on those summer tires and it was downright useless. Had a very hard time just pulling away from the curb out fron of my house. Thank goodness I was just moving it to the rear parking pad.

Archived