LegacyGT.com

launching... how bad is it?

legacygtkc

Dont want to sound like a newbe but kinda new to the awd game... searched and got many diff responses. I didnt find another thread about this, but if there is one sorry... Just woundering, How many of you launch your cars? what rpm do you launch at? I know its not good for the car, but I want to know how bad is it for the trans/clutch/car? anybody have problems from launching at the track? or just launching on the street? i did it once and prob wont do it ever again... good way to get off the line but it just feels bad :spin: please teach me your knowelge of launching!

MT or AT?

if you have an AT, then launching is bad. if you have an MT, you can launch, just depends on when you want to buy a clutch. :lol: also, hard launches aren't good for the car, so also will depend on how often and how much.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

why don't you ask one of your techs if you work there?

launching = extra wear and tear on parts. pretty simple really. I've seen plenty of people blow up their cars without launching as well, but maybe because they didn't know how to drive a manual. I wouldn't really say it's terrible and aweful for your car because I track mine and launch it during events or runs. Just make sure you maintain it and expect parts to wear and tear more frequently or sooner. Unless you're just beating on your car... then expect it to really wear and tear and cost more money. :lol:

I'm assuming it was an OEM clutch that it was replaced with? The stock clutch isn't going to get more then 8-10 launchs before it starts to seriously slip and would need to be replaced. Higher grade clutches are designed to withstand this type of abuse. Your stock clutch is just not designed for launching. Not to mention the countless other things that could break (Tranny, driveshaft, ect.).

It will not kill your car if you do it once or twice, but it's not something you want to make a habit of unless you can afford to replace that clutch pretty soon.

I have a 08 LGT stage 2 and a 08 wrx with a VF52. I have launched each car at the track about 20 times or so. I usually rev to about 4.5-5 k rpm and slowly engage the clutch until it starts to grab, then I drop it.

I wouldn't say I am the perfect launcher, but my 60 foot times are decent and I have never gotten clutch stink at the track.

I let me dad race my LGT once at the track. He managed to get a half second faster time then i ever got. However after he raced it the tranny made some noise in first gear. I took it to the dealer and the tranny had to be rebuilt. the dealer said first gear was a little damged but it was hard to tell. My dad is used to racing RWD cars, so I think he dropped the clutch a little bit too fast during his launch.

I think if you can launch the car just right you won't damge much. Thats the hard part tho, one mistake can break something.

some videos:

WRX before the VF52, just stage 2:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP6w-9qCuxg&feature=channel_page]YouTube - 2008 wrx drag racing[/ame]

LGT with me driving:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTBOve9SIbs&feature=channel_page]YouTube - 2008 legacy gt drag racing[/ame]

LGT with my dad driving:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdcUIQu4OB4&feature=channel_page]YouTube - 2008 legacy gt drag racing[/ame]

I think this is where the tranny broke:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri8rwrhnO3Y&feature=channel_page]YouTube - 2008 legacy gt drag racing[/ame]

Take note this is at 5800 feet elevation, thus is why times are slow:

I have launched my car well over 100 times (in my 08 STI) and about a dozen in the 07 STI. OEM Clutch. yes, it can get some clutch stink, especially if I mess up the launch and let it slip a little too much. I'd say, for the most part, I have my launches just about down, 1.68 - 1.80 avg 60' on stg 1 and stg 2, OEM clutch. We figure, by the end of this track season, I'll probably need a new upgraded clutch. ;)

now, I have watched several of my fellow Subie owners kill their transmissions at the strip, 1st or 2nd gear.

I think what it comes down to is the amount of times you stepped in gum on a hot summer day in your lifetime. If it never happened to you, then you need to go out and practice stepping in gum and then slowly lifting your foot, because that's exactly the motor skill your foot needs for both a propper launch and keeping the transmission in good condition.

I have launched my car well over 100 times (in my 08 STI) and about a dozen in the 07 STI. OEM Clutch. yes, it can get some clutch stink, especially if I mess up the launch and let it slip a little too much. I'd say, for the most part, I have my launches just about down, 1.68 - 1.80 avg 60' on stg 1 and stg 2, OEM clutch. We figure, by the end of this track season, I'll probably need a new upgraded clutch. ;)

now, I have watched several of my fellow Subie owners kill their transmissions at the strip, 1st or 2nd gear.

Sounds like you have your launches down pretty good. I also have over 100 passes on my car, 60' times range from a best of 1.60 to an average 1.80. Get this, I have 78K miles and still on the OE clutch!!:spin:

I think what it comes down to is the amount of times you stepped in gum on a hot summer day in your lifetime. If it never happened to you, then you need to go out and practice stepping in gum and then slowly lifting your foot, because that's exactly the motor skill your foot needs for both a propper launch and keeping the transmission in good condition.

ha ha.. what?? Nice comparison.. I honestly couldnt count how many times I have launched my car. And for the guy that posted about launching an STI, a LGT is no where near as well built as an STI. The Spec B is a lil better, but not quite the same. I have managed to shear a rear halfshaft launching, and twist the main shaft in my tranny. I have posted this soo many times I am surprised everyone doesnt know yet...lol

Oh just for a guess.. I probably launched my car sheesh, in the hundreds.. on the dragstrip and on the street. I mean for a couple years I was doing it on a daily basis.. so I guess I need to give it to Subaru that the car has held up fairly well.

Sounds like you have your launches down pretty good. I also have over 100 passes on my car, 60' times range from a best of 1.60 to an average 1.80. Get this, I have 78K miles and still on the OE clutch!!:spin:

78K miles on the OEM still? wow! With doing the turbo upgrade, I think I'll want to have a better clutch... better clutch, better times. ;)

and yes, LGTKC, we're talking about launching at the track.

also, it's like stepping in dog crap. ;) that was the analogy I was told last year before I took the STI to the track. I'd never run an MT at the strip, so wanted some advice.

Archived