LegacyGT.com

Custom Exhaust

No Flowmaster DONT sound bad Frostbite has one on his k2.5i Ive heard them on WRX and STI and LGT's the muffler may sound bad with straight pipes out the header with no cat, or resonator. Now a series 40 might sound bad but a series 44 or 60 will not if done right and the flowmasters are less restrisctive than stock just like the magna flow is less as well. They sound sound just as raspy on a V8 :cool:

please post some videos of subys with flowmasters.

Not every subbie that has flows makes a youtube vid Frost has a vid/sound clip of his ask him to share it with you or better yet make you one once his engine is back in. As for the othre subbie one was an 05 STi the other was an 05 LGT with Cobb catless DP 3" piping 18 " res and two Flow master 40's the STI had same DP ( catless) with 3" piping and a series 60 flow with a 12" res and both had HFC not sure which brand I drove the LGT and the drone isnt bad except btwn 2800rpm and 3300 rpm but it was quite loud the owner got to noise violations in one week which promted the 18 inch res but the STI sounded nice probably due to the single vs the dual

I will as soon as I put my engine back in :)

I have an old sound clip of my setup but its not a great recording, plus I wasn't finished with my exhaust when I recorded it. I finally got "finished" after I put in a glasspack resinator a few months later. It took away a lot of the raspiness you are referring too. I couldn't be happier with it all and get lots of compliments about it from people who know abut Subies, and those who don't alike.

Also, I converted my exhaust from dual to single. So maybe dual Flowmaster 44's on a 2.5i may sound different than the way I got it setup. IMO single exhaust is the way to go if youre doing it to a 2.5i. Mainly becuase theres no advantage to having dual and you have to spend extra $$$ to do it.

Can anybody suggest a decent y-pipe to replace the stock y? I just want to do new mufflers and y-pipe and keep the rest stock, for now anyways.

You can fab a Y pipe cheaper than buying one :eek: So i would ask the shop that does your exhaust to fab it up. BUT if all you are doing is mufflers then why are you wanting a new Y pipe? it wont help sound wise.

You can fab a Y pipe cheaper than buying one :eek: So i would ask the shop that does your exhaust to fab it up. BUT if all you are doing is mufflers then why are you wanting a new Y pipe? it wont help sound wise.

I would think that it would help with the flow of the exhaust since the y pipe gets split in half right after the mid pipe, but im not sure. Also the y-pipe is tiny compared to the size of the the perrin mufflers i want to put on.

I would think that it would help with the flow of the exhaust since the y pipe gets split in half right after the mid pipe, but im not sure. Also the y-pipe is tiny compared to the size of the the perrin mufflers i want to put on.

Oh you are putting Perrin Cans on my bad bro :rolleyes: I thought you were gonna use the stock angle pieces and weld those to new mufflers.

anybody got a ballpark idea of how much pipes should cost to be made?

Piping comes in 18 24 36 etc sections what I would do is buy two 7 foot section maybe $45-50 bucks alright a good exhaust guy can lay your stock on the floor and bend up a clone to that in minutes literally once you see it in action you may think to yourself man if I had a pipe bender i could do this myself and you could with some practice. Anyway you gotta think the most bending is required at the rear section ( mid-pipe back ) but they dont charge per bend they charge per hour. If you get an RS header youll need to bend an almost 90 degree bend to route it to the rear then weld in your Cat and o2 bungs if you dont have them in already then a resonator then the axle back section A good mechanic shoudl be ablt to do it in 4hrs or less barring any set backs. if they charged you $50/hr thats $200 plus piping another $45-50 you looking at $250ish again i used prices that the exhaust place where I lived quoted me so it may vary for you also you may want to consider using parts of your existing. I am going so unconventional it will make this whole forums head spin. but more on that once my LGT exhaust manifold arrives :eek:

thanks for the info.

"you may want to consider using parts of your existing."

like which ones?

Disregard that. The shop you choose will ultimately decide on what to do. And what will be re-used, if anything.

Just go get your exhaust done already weve helped out a lot already :D

Disregard that. The shop you choose will ultimately decide on what to do. And what will be re-used, if anything.

Just go get your exhaust done already weve helped out a lot already :D

I only said that because he seems like he is tryna save money of course I would say scrap the OEM do all custom :cool::rolleyes::)

Someone said something about flowmaster mufflers being baffled so they dont sound good on smaller engines.

Not sure how a baffled muffler would sound but flowmaster offers MANY different styles of mufflers, and alot of them are a straight through design.

Someone said something about flowmaster mufflers being baffled so they dont sound good on smaller engines.

Not sure how a baffled muffler would sound but flowmaster offers MANY different styles of mufflers, and alot of them are a straight through design.

+1 correct ppl think all FM makes are the series 40 chambered mufflers for big blocks etc. But they really have come a long way to cater to the 4 cyl import market the 60 series is pretty open the 44 are good. I was going to go that route but i reverted back to Thrush but either way this guy has a ton of advice and different ways about making his exhaust I ultimately will have two configurations a hybrid setup and full custom setup.

Archived