LegacyGT.com

Header Install Trouble

ScoobySTi07

I just installed a Grimmspeed Exhaust Manifold w/Hi-Flow Cross Pipe. First off let me say that I was very impressed with Grimmspeed's work on both the exhaust manifolds and the cross pipe. The install went quick without any surprises with new gaskets all around. Then I had to go and drive it :redface:

The car responds very well and the spool hits sooner but I'll have to do some logging to confirm that. Unfortunately I started to hear what I can only describe as a loud cricket chirping coming from somewhere in front of the driver's side foot well. When accelerating normally I don't hear anything but if I go to 1/2 WOT or more in any gear the chirping starts up and gets louder and higher pitched as RPM's increase. Then I threw a P1153 CEL (Front O2 Sensor Circuit Range/Performance (High)). I turned off and restarted the car the CEL went out but came back on again after 10 minutes and the chirping continues.

I have gone back and retightened everything hoping to eliminate the chirping but still no luck. I also rechecked the O2 sensor but all the same problems still exist.

Is the CEL in response to the ported exhaust and hi-flow cross pipe or did I break the sensor during the install? Any ideas about the chirping or CEL would be appreciated.

Edit: I've gone through and looked at the threads concerning both the CEL code and headers but to no avail. Oh and here is the mod list.

The Ridiculousness is no more :( But you can have your very own piece of it. **The Ridiculous Part Out.** :D

What gaskets did you use oem or gs?

Can you have a person rev it while your under the car to see where it is coming from?

You can also see drippings of exhaust condensations coming from leaky joints so if you can observe it for a bit you could see if you have a leak somewhere.

as for the code, have you done the resistor mod for your up pipe?

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

What gaskets did you use oem or gs?

OEM of course

Can you have a person rev it while your under the car to see where it is coming from?

You can also see drippings of exhaust condensations coming from leaky joints so if you can observe it for a bit you could see if you have a leak somewhere.

Tried it but just like when I'm sitting on the ground in idle the chirping only appears to occur when the engine is under load. There was no condensation but I only ran it for a couple of minutes so maybe I just need to run it longer.

as for the code, have you done the resistor mod for your up pipe?
I've got a stage 2 tune. Granted one that was done before the header install but after I changed out up pipes. Shouldn't that have taken care of it?
The Ridiculousness is no more :( But you can have your very own piece of it. **The Ridiculous Part Out.** :D

It's a leak somewhere. Get out the spray bottle of soapy water and spray all the unions and the mainfolds up by the head. If it's coming from the drivers side; then it would either have to be the manifold->head or the manifold-> crosspipe gasket.
Let's kick this pig!

Archived