LegacyGT.com

Tint Question (I've searched)

I have a SWP Legacy GT Ltd sedan and have scheduled it for window tinting next week. I'm going to get Llumar tint with 25%. I've read that metallic tint can cause your radio reception to mess up. So has anyone done it where the rear window gets non-metallic film and the side windows get metallic? How does it look? Can you tell the difference between metallic and non-metallic? The tint guy I talked to said there will be a slight difference, but you can barely see it...especially if its the rear vs the side windows. I'd like to get your opinion. I'll post pics of the car after the tint job. Thanks!!

BTW, they quoted me $170.

Dan

I have a SWP Legacy GT Ltd sedan and have scheduled it for window tinting next week. I'm going to get Llumar tint with 25%. I've read that metallic tint can cause your radio reception to mess up. So has anyone done it where the rear window gets non-metallic film and the side windows get metallic? How does it look? Can you tell the difference between metallic and non-metallic? The tint guy I talked to said there will be a slight difference, but you can barely see it...especially if its the rear vs the side windows. I'd like to get your opinion. I'll post pics of the car after the tint job. Thanks!!

BTW, they quoted me $170.

Dan

DOnt know about the metalic question, but make sure you will be legal with the 25%. Most places that will be illegal and you will be pulled over.....

Metallic films sometimes have a reflective sheen to them when viewed at an angle. However, since you're not putting the two different films side-by-side, it may not be obvious. If it were me and I was concerned about radio reception, I'd also go non-metallic all-around. $170 sounds about right.

FYI, the FM reception on my LGT wagon with 20% Madico Onyx metallic film hasn't changed from what I can tell. AM reception has degraded somewhat.

Ken

Sorry for the confusion, I'm not doing the driver and front passenger side windows...just the rear side windows. Although I don't know for a fact, but 25% should be legal.

I like the reflective film, especially on a white car, but don't want to give up my AM reception. Gotta have my Jim Rome in the morning :)

i had my last gt re-tinted with non metalic in the rear because in certain areas the reception would break up.

it looked fine because a lot of times you are not seeing both windows of the car anyway .. also, since the back window is on a different angle, it's doesn't reflect the same things even if you were looking at it from one of the rear corners.

If there's still daylight left, I'll take a picture of my car.

I just had tint put on this past saturday. Is there a particular angle you want me to take? I have a SWP wagon so it's pretty much what you're looking for. In MD, the legal limit is 35%, non-reflective. My personal views are 35%:

- looks "light" in direct sunlight (no clouds, mid-day scenario). if you wanted to put a point value then it looks like it's "lighter" than 35. say 50%.

- looks "dark" in indirect sunlight (cloudy, in the shade, etc). meaning it looks like 35%

- looks "dark" at night (dusk, early evening, some daylight remaining). seems like 25-35%. you'll most likely get a "classy" or "very nice" type of response

- looks "dark" at night (evening). looks more like 10-15%. because the interior is black/dark, it really makes the car look "mysterious"

it'll never go as dark as limo tint like you see in the brochures and wallpaper pictures. as you get closer to the car, you'll start to make out the interior objects - the seat, the headrests, the reflective lighter interior pieces etc. limo tint is 5%

... and besides, reflective tint is old school early 90s. just go with regular black. it'll look really nice. 170 is decent. I paid 160 for mine.

If there's still daylight left, I'll take a picture of my car.

I just had tint put on this past saturday. Is there a particular angle you want me to take? I have a SWP wagon so it's pretty much what you're looking for. In MD, the legal limit is 35%, non-reflective. My personal views are 35%:

... and besides, reflective tint is old school early 90s. just go with regular black. it'll look really nice. 170 is decent. I paid 160 for mine.

Almond,

Hehe...I don't want the mirror type tint. I like the tint that looks like it has flakes in it...kind of hard to explain, but I've seen a lot of Lexus' with it. If you can take a

picture of the whole profile of the car in bright daylight, I would really appreciate it.

Do you have the metallic tint?

-Dan

Hey how are you and LOVE THE NAME OF YR THREAD, great stuff.......

There have been stories about that it does, personally I think it an old wives tale aka a myth. Im more than sure you will be fine.

Let us know how you go.

All the best.

Adam.

Archived