LegacyGT.com

RalliTeK Skid Plate

Razor

Well, I did the install last weekend. Everything went very well, the fit and instructions were great. A little extra work was needed on the last 2 bolts, I'm sure glad I had an extra hand. A pry bar was needed to line up those last two bolts but after that, and getting extremely wet from under the car, it was a success! I would definately recommend this for someone who has lost their plastic under tray in the snow, like I did...

I heard my first 'TONG!" the other day, now when I run over large debris in the road and hear that, I dont cringe ... I smile. :)

more stories to follow soon!

Yes I did ... and I couldn't believe the costs. Never will I do that again. I think my total charges from UPS were $86 (not including shipping costs). It was retarded ,I've NEVER had to pay that much before ... Maybe shipping it to the border will be better? I mean, I baught a $2700 guitar this summer and sent it to the border and I only had to pay about $300 on it .... Why so much for importing with UPS

My 700 dollar AP (like 900 canadian) cost me 260 in UPS charges... I think ill stick to sending stuff to the border.

Im only 30 mins from the border so...

:confused: Sounds like a good fit :lol:

I lost my plastic and was thinking about ordering this but I hear fitment isn't that good :spin:

We have addressed fitment issues and are now on our 3rd generation plate so it is always being improved. As for shipping, we are bound by certain guidelines for shipping out of the country. One of them is proper documentation and duties. If we make a mistake or try to "fool" the system we risk losing our ability to ship to not only Canada but any international port. I know this can be expensive for you but the reality is there really are no other legal issues. We are always trying to find reasonable shipping options and lower costs.

Yes I did ... and I couldn't believe the costs. Never will I do that again. I think my total charges from UPS were $86 (not including shipping costs). It was retarded ,I've NEVER had to pay that much before ... Maybe shipping it to the border will be better? I mean, I baught a $2700 guitar this summer and sent it to the border and I only had to pay about $300 on it .... Why so much for importing with UPS

My 700 dollar AP (like 900 canadian) cost me 260 in UPS charges... I think ill stick to sending stuff to the border.

Im only 30 mins from the border so...

It's not necessarily the shipping, etc. to Canada that's the problem .... UPS is the problem. I absolutely refuse to buy anything that has to be shipped with them. You get hit with GST/PST/duties and then a UPS import brokerage fee that is a minimum of $40.

What border are you 30 minutes from in Thunder Bay???? :lol:

We have addressed fitment issues and are now on our 3rd generation plate so it is always being improved. As for shipping, we are bound by certain guidelines for shipping out of the country. One of them is proper documentation and duties. If we make a mistake or try to "fool" the system we risk losing our ability to ship to not only Canada but any international port. I know this can be expensive for you but the reality is there really are no other legal issues. We are always trying to find reasonable shipping options and lower costs.

No problem at all. I would never and have never asked a vendor to do something dishonest. Certainly appreciate where you are coming from.

I've thought long and hard about ordering this skidplate and would absolutely love one. My problem is that based on the shipping estimate that I've done through your website along with my experience with UPS .... the cost of getting this thing to me will be the same price as the actual skidplate.

Unfortunately that's the only reason I haven't bought one of these yet.

Thunder bay is only 30 minuetes from the U.S. border of Minni. Grand Portage... It's great, we get all the cheap gas and get everything shipped there. I'll never use UPS again to canada, what a god damned rip off! I wish rallitek would of said something about this nonsense when I first baught all of it, I think they ended up costing me more than 600$... could have been avoided if they gave me UPS quotes which were RETARDED high.

Any chance V3 will have a cover for the oil filter and/or drain plug?

All of this is being taken into consideration. We elected to not use a trap/removable door because if you bumped anything substantial it would most likely never fit correctly again. We addressed the issue of losing the center jack point but if we made provisions for this it would be counterproductive as it would expose the frame to potential damage. The newest version (V4) weighs in at about 7lbs but I won’t know for sure until it comes in. True that it does ship at 75lbs but we all know that is dimensional weight and not actual weight.

On another note, if you have any international shipping questions or issues please email or IM me. I can generally recommend alternatives to what is posted on the site. The site is linked directly to UPS and calculates freight automatically but many times I can find a cheaper alternative.

Ron

Email and MSN MSGR:

ron@ipdusa.com

Any chance V3 will have a cover for the oil filter and/or drain plug?

Just FYI...I have a plate and love it. I did to the following mods though.

- Aluminum mesh over vent openings to prevent damage from stones, etc.

- Cover plates over oil drain and filter openings

- Gave the plate a good bend to give clearance to my aftermarket headers and added an extra spacer in the rear (jacking point)--worked fine.

- Only use the 3 easy bolts when installing it.

I just secure the plate with the 3 easy bolts--the front two and the rear middle bolt (it was the two rear outer bolts that were the real pains mess with a lot). It holds the plate just fine (have driven on the track, through snow, etc) and is super easy to take off . Now it takes me just a couple seconds to remove the 3 bolts and just drop the plate when I'm changing oil, etc. Way simpler.:) Unless you rally the car (or backup and catch a log), I don't think you'll have any issue.

Also, for the front bolts, I made marks with a permanent marker on the underside of the bumper and the plate so now I just line it up and insert the bolts. (If you've installed it multiple times you'll know what I mean.)

• 3 weeks later...
I just recieved and installed my new skid plate from Sean. I'm guessing this is the v.4 since I had to wait for it to get cut? Mounts on my 08 LGT with 6 bolts (4 rear, 2 front) and the fitment was perfect! The only issue I had was that 1 spacer of the front bolts wasn't quite enough to avoid contact, so I used 2 each (which were supplied). This thing is rock solid. :cool:
Yup...

UPS provides a door-to-door service for a considerable cost. Many people don't want to have to deal with the customs clearance and if you are far away from where the goods enter the country, it is a painful experience. In the US, a customs broker will charge well over $100 USD to put the paperwork together. UPS does the broker work as part of the "package" but in many cases does not adjust the charges when the entry paperwork is much simpler due to, for example, a "sectional release" which in the US is a low value importation of $200 or less. Even "informal entries" (valued up to $2000) require less paperwork, but don't expect UPS to trim the bill because most people don't know they are putting one over on you.

I can't speak for Canada Customs and if they have have changed with the times. I know years ago they were very revenue conscious and very overzealous about making importations difficult.

If anyone would like to give me a Canada Postal code I will give you an exact breakdown of all shipping costs via UPS.

I placed an order through another vendor on the forum about 1-2 months back and forgot to insist on shipping through US Postal.

Unfortunately they shipped UPS. I placed an order for a few small items that came out to $180 including shipping.

Brokerage/duties/tax with UPS came out to $80..... on a $180 order.

I have done some research on this subject and here is what I find.

We cannot ship the Legacy GT skid plate to Canada via USPS (as the box is 41”x 34”x5”).

USPS has changed the maximum allowable dimensions for large packages to Canada so it allows: Maximum length and girth combined 108"

This would make the length 41”, and girth combined (W-34x2)+(H-5x2) of 78” for a total of 119” which puts it 11” over the maximum allowable dimensions.

The issues with USPS Canada:

Insurance available for a fee (this means you have to purchase insurance at an additional cost, usually very expensive).

Requires customs declaration form (hence the higher cost as we have to submit extra forms to ship outside the country; this is and has never been a secret).

Any claims filed with USPS will take a minimum of 75 days to reconcile as with other freight companies we can generally handle any claims immediately. This means if USPS loses the package you will have to wait a minimum of 75 days before anything can be done. UPS can process almost any claim immediately and we can send a replacement item immediately whereas you will have to wait the allotted time for USPS before one can be sent or a refund issued.

There are no controlling duties, taxes and the like when shipping USPS. I don’t know how they collect for them or have any control of how they do it as I have never lived in Canada nor received items there so my knowledge is limited in that regard.

The advantage of UPS International is they do all of the necessary paperwork to clear customs so there are rarely any issues at all with importing products there. UPS International also collects duties, taxes and fees so there are no surprises for the receiver when the package arrives. True this does cost more and there is a nominal fee for this but again, they have to do all the paperwork and if there are any issues they handle it.

I assure you, we would love to ship them via USPS to our neighbors to the North but the reality is: there are limited ways to do it. Unless we make the skid plate smaller or cut it in half, there really are currently no other options.

I hope this sheds some light on the subject. I am working with USPS and our shipping department to find a solution to this issue and will try to keep all informed.

Ron

Archived