LegacyGT.com

Parts replace and problems 05/mt

mikewolff50

I just wanted to let everyone know what I have had replaced so far.

1. Carpet Hook (like everyone else)

2. Clutch pedal

3. The Entire Clutch

I was having problems with a burning smell and poor performance. My tech told me that the machining on the clutch was terrible. Subaru authorized the replacement. When I got the car back it drove better but the burning smell was even worse. When I took it back it was found that the rear tail seal was dripping oil on the cat coververter.

4. Tail seal.

I love driving this car but I am extremely disappointed with the reliability of the car. This is my second Subaru and I never had these kind of problems with my '98.

I'm planning on buying a 5MT LGT this month...should I be worried?

No. One car shouldn't make or break your purchase.

Now if there was a complete recall on ALL of the cars, I could see how that would be kinda disappointing. But at the same time, at least they knew the problem and fixed it. (If that happened)

First, I have the same clutch stench under normal driving (well, getting into first). The other day it was wet out, and some kid in a truck of some sort wanted to "race." I just wanted to show him 0-20 off the line, so I go up to 5k, let out the clutch rapidly, but don't drop it... End up doing a 4 wheel peel, but afterwards it smelled like someone had puked into my air vents...5 miles later it was still there. It was finally ok the next day, but is this stench something I should take up with the dealer? I'm going tonight for my 7500 mi service (after 3 months).

Not to hijack, but has anyone noticed a knocking type sound (sounds like a bad left front axle) when turning in extremely cold temps after startup?

Cheers

-Max

First, I have the same clutch stench under normal driving (well, getting into first). The other day it was wet out, and some kid in a truck of some sort wanted to "race." I just wanted to show him 0-20 off the line, so I go up to 5k, let out the clutch rapidly, but don't drop it... End up doing a 4 wheel peel, but afterwards it smelled like someone had puked into my air vents...5 miles later it was still there. It was finally ok the next day, but is this stench something I should take up with the dealer? I'm going tonight for my 7500 mi service (after 3 months).

Not to hijack, but has anyone noticed a knocking type sound (sounds like a bad left front axle) when turning in extremely cold temps after startup?

Cheers

-Max

I wonder if they'll offer a "puke in the air vents aroma" delete option on the '06...That would be worth waiting for.

One week later and no problems. It seems like they identified and fixed the problem. I still think this car is the most fun, powerful and best buy for the money.

I have read other posts about a stinky clutch that is why I posted this. However, I have been driving this car pretty hard and have not experienced the smell since the parts were replaced.

Hey Mikewolff50...

Do you mean by "rear tail seal" replacement, the rear seal to the drive shaft on the transmission? I had to replace this as well. It was dripping on the cat converter and smelling like burning 90W. I had to take it in 3 times before they finally fixed it correctly. Kind of pissed me off.

Guest turboman
Hey Mikewolff50...

Do you mean by "rear tail seal" replacement, the rear seal to the drive shaft on the transmission? I had to replace this as well. It was dripping on the cat converter and smelling like burning 90W. I had to take it in 3 times before they finally fixed it correctly. Kind of pissed me off.

Ya but... if it was dripping tranny fluid you would have a red spot on the garage floor if it was left for a couple of days. And it would smoke after you parked it. Let me meditate a while on that diagnosis... :confused:

I actually park my car out in the snow so I did not notice the leak at first. The first time I took it in, I was having a block heater installed and asked them to look for a leak. They said they didn't see anything. I drove it for another week and was still smelling it so I finally crawled up under there and saw the leak myself. I took it back in and they saw it too and said it was the seal so they replaced it. After a week I smelled it again, so I crawl back under there and sure enough it is leaking again. I take it back and this time they said that the first tech that worked on it did not seat the thing right, so they replaced it again. They did give me a free first oil change for my trouble and apologized big time. Now all is well. BTW, I have the 5MT so it takes the 75W-90 and not the pink AT fluid.

Guest turboman
I actually park my car out in the snow so I did not notice the leak at first. The first time I took it in, I was having a block heater installed and asked them to look for a leak. They said they didn't see anything. I drove it for another week and was still smelling it so I finally crawled up under there and saw the leak myself. I took it back in and they saw it too and said it was the seal so they replaced it. After a week I smelled it again, so I crawl back under there and sure enough it is leaking again. I take it back and this time they said that the first tech that worked on it did not seat the thing right, so they replaced it again. They did give me a free first oil change for my trouble and apologized big time. Now all is well. BTW, I have the 5MT so it takes the 75W-90 and not the pink AT fluid.

You're right about the trans fluid color. But I (we) don't have the smell all the time, as you would if there was leak, at least when driving slow so the air flow wouldn't blow the smell behind. And a leak would stink in the garage, as well as a stain on the concrete.

I've also noticed the "head bobbing" symptom (BMW owner's terminology) on the 1st to 2nd shift in higher rpm shifts, caused by the same CDV (clutch delay valve) that BMW owners are upset about and are buying modified CDV's.

I've also noticed the "head bobbing" symptom (BMW owner's terminology) on the 1st to 2nd shift in higher rpm shifts, caused by the same CDV (clutch delay valve) that BMW owners are upset about and are buying modified CDV's.

Note that the "head bobbing" can be alleviated if you employ the same shifting technique that resulted in smoothness with the WRX, which is:

Rev

Clutch

Pause

Shift

Clutch out

For whatever reason, the Subaru gearboxes don't like to be rushed. If you do, you will get the head bob. The CDV is most noticeable when you try a dump, rather than in regular driving.

Kevin

Guest turboman
Note that the "head bobbing" can be alleviated if you employ the same shifting technique that resulted in smoothness with the WRX, which is:

Rev

Clutch

Pause

Shift

Clutch out

For whatever reason, the Subaru gearboxes don't like to be rushed. If you do, you will get the head bob. The CDV is most noticeable when you try a dump, rather than in regular driving.

Kevin

Ditto. I've found the CDV most objectionable (stinkiest) backing up a steep curved slippery driveway pushing a 2000 lb ATV trailer..

"Dumping", I thought, was when you sidestep the clutch and let it snap up at peak RPM. So many young WRX drivers were trashing their tranny that is why we have the CDV today. Never tried dumping one myself. On either my '96 Impreza wagon, '98 Legacy Brighton, '02 WRX, or Legacy LGT.

Archived