LegacyGT.com

gas mileage is not that bad

I drove like an old lady on the way home from work today. About 10 miles tops. My MPG went from 17.1 to 17.8 in that 10 miles. I kept the RPMs below 3500 and drove under 60 the whole time. At the last light I decided to see what would happen if I drove it a little harder. I shifted at 5K through 4 gears and watched as my MPG went right back to 17.1. Man.... All that work and I blew it in one block. I'm going to try my old lady driving skills for a whole tank and see what I can get. Until the AP has a map specifically for gas milage, I may have to try doing this for awhile.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Actually I did what someone mentioned earlier and whenever I'm on a highway I put the cruise control on and my mpg went up 2mpg starting from a little less then 3/4 of a tank so I think the key to getting good gas mileage is to use the cruise control as much as possible.

Howdy:

Newby here; have a black 05 Legacy GT Wagon with about 4k miles on it. So far I've gotten around 23-24 mpg on it for last 3k+ miles, mostly highway miles, some city miles. I did notice the best mileage I had was in Taos, NM at 9000' elevation, going UP the mountain....:confused:

I couldn't schred on the way up, spousal unit and baby was in back seat...:(....didn't want baby puke on the leather seats.

My guess is elevation helps gas mileage.

Thanks, Rick

"Doesn't matter if it's good, only if it rocks" - Tenacious D

I was wondering this myself...whether elevation helps gas mileage or not. Anybody in the Mile High wanna confirm they're not getting bad gas mileage? Even after running through Deer Creek Rd. in second gear (its a nice twisty road), my gas mileage was still above 18MPG. The drive back to my apartment rose it to 20, and getting GT4 last night brought it up to 21.4

Using the handy dashboard mileage average computer, I have noticed that there are certain speeds and road conditions that make the calculation generate some really respectable averages. Obviously you have all seen the classic 99.9 MPG when you take your foot off the gas completely but I have been able to keep it hovering at about 40- 45 MPG according to the little computer.

It doesnt suprise me that the gas mileage is pretty good on long trips as some of you have indicated by joining the 400mi club.

I have often considered taking some notes and figuring out at what RPMs does the MPG computer generate the best numbers but then i remember a key ingredient to buying this car:

I wasn't looking for 30MPG and a reduction in my gasoline costs... I wanted something that looked gorgeous and would get up and go when I wanted it too.

Fortunately for the oil company (and the state of california), i havent gotten bored enough yet to discover the best MPG.

Four wheel slides are fun and devestating to gas mileage...

Reade

One thing to mention about the MPG feature in the center console, it's consistently a couple miles per gallon over what it truly is. If you do the math at each fill-up you'll find it's always reading a little high.

And I've definitely driven more than 400 miles on a tank many times. I've learned that when the low fuel light goes on I have at least 60 highway miles before I'm cutting it close at all. I'm just crazy like that, living life on a razor's edge.

I was wondering this myself...whether elevation helps gas mileage or not. Anybody in the Mile High wanna confirm they're not getting bad gas mileage? Even after running through Deer Creek Rd. in second gear (its a nice twisty road), my gas mileage was still above 18MPG.

If you are driving off boost at higher elevations, you will get better mileage, definately. For any given volume of air at higher elevations, the car is seeing less mass, so not as much fuel is needed to maintain the proper a/f ratio. I firts noticed this when driving my '89 Civic Si through Yellowstone Park during my honeymoon. I spend a lot of time with the pedal firmly planted in the carpet, but never, ever got less than 40-41 mpg. This was my first experience with a fi car, and I was impressed.

On boost, I would assume all bets are off as xpsi is xpsi, regardless of altitude, and you'll need the appropriate volume of fuel to go along with it. I am new to turbos, however, so I'll let someone else confirm or deny that.

• 2 years later...
My drive is pretty consistent 165 miles twice a week, plus about 60 miles 'around town'. The 165 is 50 miles of interstate through three mountain passes and 115 curvy miles on posted 55. Very little traffic. When I first got the car I was getting about 28mpg driving 72 mph on interstate, 62 on the rest (love that cruise-control). Just to see, I slowed 'way down to 62 and 52, and drove extremelycarefully, including very gentle acceleration. Also running 38psi in the tires; 5-30 API-SL (per factory recommendation). Takes incredible discipline and patience, but it's do-able. If you don't mind being passed by freight trucks. On the back-road I pull over and slow down to let the now-and-then car behind me get safely by. I don't think I can do this forever, but I've been doing it about a month...

Holy old thread batman...The last of a snail in your car definitely helps you out on the mileage aspect. Though disciplined driving as you describe can get me around 33 mpg on a highway.

Eric

Archived