LegacyGT.com

Would you buy with stutter?

subiedoo415

Question for LGT owners - would you buy the car again knowing about the stutter issue?

I currently have an 08 2.5i Limited but have been lurking the board now for the past year or so...I've been trying to figure out if I want to get a GT but am worried about all the stutter issues I've been reading about...

Last month I test drove an 08 Spec B and and 09 LGT 5EAT - really liked them both (leaning toward the 5EAT though because I live in hilly SF). Anyways - I didn't experience any noticeable stutter in either...

I guess my question is if the stutter is something that is going to develop over time is it something thats going to drive me nuts and make me regret upgrading?

i do not have the stutter. had it once in over two years and it was 9 months ago. it is LEARNED.

how you ask?

quit getting heavy boost then letting off at the 3-4k mark cause it's too much boost.

either don't press as hard or just commit to what you did.

i do not have it at all. the one time i did was with a cobb a/p. reset ecu and it was gone and never came back. never had it stock either.

I never even had a stutter with mine but even if I did I would still buy. It's a minimal issue. The dealer will reflash for free, better yet, a stage I tune requires no mode and will give you an extra 30hp at the Same time stopping the stutter

I would still buy, but I would have them knock at least 700 dollars off the price.

I noticed the stutter issue on my '09 LGT 5EAT the very first time I accelerated. It was a special order and I really liked the car. I figured it would be easy to fix and a dealer reflash would be available. Currently, as far as I know, there are no flashes available for the '09s yet.

I consider it a serious issue on my vehicle. 99% of the time, the stuttering is very mild and although I notice it, my passengers rarely notice it. But when the temperature is around 40 degrees and the conditions are just right I get a MASSIVE stutter or a SEVERE lurch. It has only done this 3 times, but each time it happened I could have had an accident. The stutter was so severe the first time that I almost hit the car in front of me.

What makes this an issue is that it is INCONSISTENT; meaning that it sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't happen. That forces me to drive like my engine could explode with power at any moment but it only does it once every couple of months.

Because of the severity of this issue, I tried to get the dealership to loan me an access port until they came out with a patch. I used a low-g accelerometer to measure the fluctuations in g-forces caused by the stutter issue. I found that the stutter on my vehicle is on par with the fluctuations in braking with the ABS fully engaged. In other words, the extreme shuddering as your vehicle is screeching to a halt is the same relative shuddering that one feels during acceleration.

Here are some acceleration graphs that I collected:

http://www.nodusus.com/lgt/stutter/1%20-%2060-0%20Hard%20Braking.gif

http://www.nodusus.com/lgt/stutter/2%20-%2065-0%20Hardest%20Braking.gif

http://www.nodusus.com/lgt/stutter/3%20-%20Turning%20at%20Stoplight.gif

http://www.nodusus.com/lgt/stutter/4%20-%20Mild%20Stutter%20in%202nd%20Gear.gif

http://www.nodusus.com/lgt/stutter/5%20-%20Simulated%20Passing.gif

Here is an excerpt from my findings:

Summary of Data

Notice how under extreme braking, when the vehicle is at its traction limit and the Anti-Lock Braking system is kicking in, there is a variance of 0.74G between the strongest and weakest points on the graph. Since the average deceleration value is a little over 1.0G, the extreme shuddering of the vehicle due to the massive traction load is generating a 50%-75% relative fluctuation in G-Forces.

Now consider the stutters on the stoplight graph. Notice how the variances of the stutters range from 0.15G to 0.20G. Since the average acceleration value for that part of the graph is 0.26G, the stuttering of the vehicle is generating a 50%-75% relative fluctuation in G-Forces.

To put things in perspective, most stutters experienced while accelerating produce greater relative G-Force fluctuations than rapidly decelerating with ABS fully engaged.

I wasn't planning on writing such a lengthy post, however, I was, believe it or not, on hold with the dealership to schedule a test drive to confirm the stutter issue.

So, I do think it is an issue. For me it is a safety issue. For nearly 30k, I expect a vehicle that is at least tuned properly. If Subaru isn't willing to do it, then they need to cut out the cost of fixing the issue from the retail price.

If I could go back in time, had I known more about the stutter issue, when I first noticed it, I would have told the dealer: "Awesome car, now knock 600-1000 dollars off the price so I can fix it."

• 2 weeks later...

I know...financially it's a pretty poor decision. Not only depreciation, but also at least $2.5k in tax, I live in CA and they don't deduct.

At first I thought I'd be alright with the NA because I only go up the mountains in the winter (in snow). But its been bugging me that the acceleration/responsiveness just isn't where I'd like it to be on the freeway - particularly in merging and passing.

Archived