LegacyGT.com

legacy gt vs. mazdaspeed6

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
sry to bring this old tread back to life but i own a ms6 and the stock boost is set at 13.5 psi. the car is great overall but the turbo does die around 5500k like it hits a brink wall. I picked up a 05 2.5i just for my daily commuter so i cant really judge on who will win in a lgt vs. ms6 race, but i think it will really be a close race rho.

FWIW, a buddy of mine (with a MS3) and I have raced out in British Columbia (near sea level) and then again out in Wendover, NV (about 5k ft above sea level) and there was a huge difference. We had the same mods on our respective cars during both races, (he has a test pipe/cobb intake, and I was cobb stage 2 with gutted pipes)

At sea Level, the AWD had him from the start, but he made up ground up until about 4.5k RPM and then his turbo just dropped off (I complain about top end on MY car, but the mazda was just rediculous) By the 1/4 mile I had about 1.5-2 car lengths on him. At altitude though, I still have the AWD advantage, but the mazda was screwed - I mean he didn't make up any time in his low revs, and the turbo had almost NOTHING above 5k. By the time a 1/4 mile had passed he was WAY behind me. They are fun cars, but it really depends on where you're racing too, not just the driver.

The other thing besides altitude we thought could have been giving him a problem was major heatsoak in nevada (it was about 85-90 that day) and since he doesn't have a hood scoop, the intercooler suffers. It just goes to show that there are a LOT of variables that come into play when comparing two vehicles.

the mazda speeds major flaw is its fuel system. they should have went with the bosch. the car gets massive amounts of fuel cut even with replacing the internals on the fuel pump since you cant replace the actual fuel pump. and alot of them have been blowing up with just a tune intake and exhaust because it throws 6 to 7 degrees of knock normally. my friend just got his motor warrantied in his ms3 and the new stock motor still has the same knock. definatley a fun car to ride in, car has alot of low end torque

I remember hearing and reading that the Speed cars both have bad heatsoak issues from factory. What kept me from being interested in either/or was parts availability. As far as I know, those drivetrains are Mazda specific. Where as Subaru, the turbo 2.5 shares many a common part between the later WRX/STi, Forester XT, Baja turbo, and the LGT, the MS cars are their own, correct? Less common parts usually equates to higher prices and harder to find bits.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived