LegacyGT.com

Ej25 jdm Question

Scooby1

• 3 weeks later...
So I just bought a 99 Legacy Gt 5 speed wagon and HG has to be done,also the clutch is shot too,can a Jdm ej25 motor with the USDM top manifold be use ?

Yes the JDM ej25de fits right in. All you need to use is all of your outer parts (intake, injectors etc). Make sure the jdm engine has the egr return

drilled and tap. Good luck, Epicautoteks

Ugh, it isn't worth it. to do JDM. The head gasket job will run you around $900, add an extra $150 or 200 for a clutch, maybe a bit more if you need water pump and timing belt. If you get a new USDM engine with low miles you'll have to do this work anyway. Your best bet is just to fix it. After I had the head gaskets fixed in my outback it has gone for 50k miles without one engine problem.

If you do a jdm swap you'll need to rewire because there is no OBD2 in japan. If you have your heart set on a jdm engine do as Reuben said and make it worth while. As in a twin turbo setup...

If you do a jdm swap you'll need to rewire because there is no OBD2 in japan.

Er, not for that year you mean. JDM subies went OBD-II in 98-99. My 98 is the last of the OBD-I's.

Ugh, it isn't worth it. to do JDM. The head gasket job will run you around $900, add an extra $150 or 200 for a clutch, maybe a bit more if you need water pump and timing belt. If you get a new USDM engine with low miles you'll have to do this work anyway. Your best bet is just to fix it. After I had the head gaskets fixed in my outback it has gone for 50k miles without one engine problem.

If you do a jdm swap you'll need to rewire because there is no OBD2 in japan. If you have your heart set on a jdm engine do as Reuben said and make it worth while. As in a twin turbo setup...

A used ej25 goes for $1100.00 and more with 100000 on the clock ,less on the clock the cost goes up for a motor and I will still have to do HG some day on it,cause HG on USDM Ph 1 can fo at any time.

yeah a lot of used usdm ej25's are a little overpriced at least looking on ebay.

I was looking at getting a jdm ej20tt and ditch the 2nd turbo it's way cheaper then a used wrx engine.

dooooooo eeeeeeeeeeeettt

Yeah, you don't buy an EJ20R and think "She'll be right mate" I learnet that lesson. Took me only 3 months to blow the big end. They go out with a bang more frequently than 2.5's blow HG's.

In that respect, they make an EXCELLENT base for a good engine build.

A used ej25 goes for $1100.00 and more with 100000 on the clock ,less on the clock the cost goes up for a motor and I will still have to do HG some day on it,cause HG on USDM Ph 1 can fo at any time.

lateralized just got one with 8x,xxx miles on it for something like $1,600. And we just did the head gaskets before putting it in the car.

Yep only a fool would just drop the engine in and run hard...

What I think I would do is send the wire harness to ECS and do the rebuild myself I would be in no rush unless my cousin tells me to get the engine out of his garage :p

I for sure need to get some air tools. I wonder if parts are going to be hard to find? If I ever found a good price on a USDM turbo engine I'd still jump on that too...

I hear the JDM market did not go OBD-II until like 1998? Is that true?

Yep only a fool would just drop the engine in and run hard...

What I think I would do is send the wire harness to ECS and do the rebuild myself I would be in no rush unless my cousin tells me to get the engine out of his garage :p

I for sure need to get some air tools. I wonder if parts are going to be hard to find? If I ever found a good price on a USDM turbo engine I'd still jump on that too...

I hear the JDM market did not go OBD-II until like 1998? Is that true?

Reuben just said that about 4 posts up... Their switch was 98-99, unlike the US which was 95-96.

the ONLY reason I'd use a JDM engine is if it was a turbo model that is not available in the US. Otherwise it isn't worth it.

Ha.. sorry about that someone was talking about the EJ20TT on SLi so I got a little mixed up..

speaking of OBD II was the USDM 95 Legacy some type of hybird? I see green cable connections like my OBD I impreza I used to have.

^^nfi

But on the OBD-II thing, yeah, the 20R and 20K (the 20R's single turbo brother) are the last of the OBD-I's. If you ever get one (and i strongly reccomend you do, they are fantastic engines), just PM me, i can send you anything you need to make it run, shippings just a pain for any large items. ECU's and that sorta thing are sweet.

Archived