LegacyGT.com

STI STS, bushings?

boostedsube

It is much firmer. I bearly ever miss gears with the setup. I drove my brothers car not to long ago 05LGT bone stock and god with the stock shifter set up it just feels very loose and i find myself searching for the gears.

I'm looking at getting the Perrin sts kit myself. It says on their website you get the sts, bushings, and shift knob all in one kit. Did all this come with yours, and if so how is the shift knob and what does it look like?

Are you asking what bushing came with a legacy that was factory equipped with the sti shifter?

Yeah. Let's say I buy this: http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servlet/the-1067/STi-Subaru-Legacy-GT/Detail

Does that come with the same style (read: sloppy) bushings that are from the factory or are they stiffer in the short throw than the non shorth throw? Basically, I'm wondering whether or not the bushings are the same material so when I buy the SS, should I also buy, say, Cobb, shifter bushings or are they not needed?:)

Yeah. Let's say I buy this: http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servlet/the-1067/STi-Subaru-Legacy-GT/Detail

Does that come with the same style (read: sloppy) bushings that are from the factory or are they stiffer in the short throw than the non shorth throw? Basically, I'm wondering whether or not the bushings are the same material so when I buy the SS, should I also buy, say, Cobb, shifter bushings or are they not needed?:)

I actually don't think they come with the bushings. In all my research of the different short throw options for our cars, I've never read that the STI sts included bushings. If I were to order this piece (which for $300 I probably wouldnt), I'd get the stiffer bushings from cobb or rallitek. But then again, you might want to look at a kit that already includes these things and costs a couple hundred dollars less. Plus with the STI sts it is not adjustable, most of the other ones like from AVO or Perrin or KArtboy ARE adjustable and cost a lot less.

Just my .02 cents.

The kit he is looking at replaces everything in the shifter assembly. Although I do agree with you just buying an aftermarket shifter lever and some bushings would probably run you half of the sti shifter assembly and will still give you the same end result. Also being able to adjust it to your liking is a plus as well.

Well, to me, I don't care about the adjustability for 1. 2, I've seen complaints about the Cobb unit. 3, I'd buy this for the same reason I bought the STi gauge cluster: because it carries an OEM part and if there's any issues with that specific part, I can go back to the dealer and have them diag it. You pay more for it but it's also a quality piece because of that reason. That, and in the end, it's another $100 to get the bushings already in it even if they are the rubber OEM pieces. You're also getting all new linkage, not just what is esentially a threaded rod. That's my take.

Well, to me, I don't care about the adjustability for 1. 2, I've seen complaints about the Cobb unit. 3, I'd buy this for the same reason I bought the STi gauge cluster: because it carries an OEM part and if there's any issues with that specific part, I can go back to the dealer and have them diag it. You pay more for it but it's also a quality piece because of that reason. That, and in the end, it's another $100 to get the bushings already in it even if they are the rubber OEM pieces. You're also getting all new linkage, not just what is esentially a threaded rod. That's my take.

I'm going to go with the STI STS as well but wanted to know if the STI bushings were good or should I order a set of Cobb or Perrin bushings?

I can't find the specific post but have had others confirm here on the boards that the only difference between the STi STS and the stock one is the geometry of the "threaded rod" that you shift with.

So, yes, I would bet that the bushings are the same.

TiC makes a great bushing upgrade kit.

http://www.turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_9_7_486_493_1188&products_id=321

Cheers!

Archived