LegacyGT.com

Changing brake pads?

boostedsube

nothing wrong with doing that. I had to on mine.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I've changed pads a lot...mostly I've just put the factory shims back on and used a little "brake quiet" on the back. Haven't had any issues, and that includes two weekends at the track.

So I'm going to assume there should be no fitment issues using the factory shims with Hawk HPS pads?

My LGT had 2 sets of shims on the stock pads on the front. Teflon and stainless (or maybe it was aluminum.) The teflon shims were in terrible condition and basically destroyed, so even if I wanted to reuse them, it was out of the question. The back of the Hawk HPS pads looked like they already had integrated teflon shims so it didn't worry me too much. I only reused the shiney silver shims, whatever they were made of.

The pedal was noticeably firmer after I replaced the pads without the shims, and to those that say it was because I removed one of the shims, I would tend to agree.

My LGT had 2 sets of shims on the stock pads on the front. Teflon and stainless (or maybe it was aluminum.) The teflon shims were in terrible condition and basically destroyed, so even if I wanted to reuse them, it was out of the question. The back of the Hawk HPS pads looked like they already had integrated teflon shims so it didn't worry me too much. I only reused the shiney silver shims, whatever they were made of.

The pedal was noticeably firmer after I replaced the pads without the shims, and to those that say it was because I removed one of the shims, I would tend to agree.

yeah. i had a shop do mine (hawks pads) and i didn't even ask about the shims but the pedal was easily more firm afterwards.

Archived