LegacyGT.com

Need help identifing this part in the engine bay

I've had a continous CEL on my 06 LGT (P0457, Loose or missing gas cap), which took two trips to the stealership to figure out it's a bad selinoid valve on the vapor canister in the emissions system. The stealership wants $285 for the canister (I found it for $197), and $120 to install it. Yep, rediculous.

The problem is I have no idea what the canister looks like, where it is in the engine bay, or how hard it is to replace. Can anybody help with descriptions or even pictures of the canister and the install process? It sounds really easy to replace, I just want a gut check before I start. Thanks.

How many miles on your car? When did you purchase it?

Have they tried using a different gas cap?

Did they check the fuel tank pressure sensor?

Fuel tank sensor control vavle?

pressure control Solenoid Valve?

Part numbers with exploded view of parts

Fuel Piping

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_8/intake_and_supply_system_turbocharger/fuel_piping/

Fuel Tank

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_8/intake_and_supply_system_turbocharger/fuel_tank/

For other pictures that you are interested in, you should REALLY do a search for the "vacation pix". There is a lot more for you to see there.

How many miles on your car? When did you purchase it?

Have they tried using a different gas cap?

Did they check the fuel tank pressure sensor?

Fuel tank sensor control vavle?

pressure control Solenoid Valve?

Part numbers with exploded view of parts

Fuel Piping

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_8/intake_and_supply_system_turbocharger/fuel_piping/

Fuel Tank

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_8/intake_and_supply_system_turbocharger/fuel_tank/

For other pictures that you are interested in, you should REALLY do a search for the "vacation pix". There is a lot more for you to see there.

I've already tried replacing the gas cap. Didn't work. The Stealership said the sub code pulled from the car CPU said it was problems with the canister in the emission system.

WOW! Thanks for the pics. This is a big help. The canister pic in the first link on the right is the exact part number I was looking for.

Projectrang; Thanks for the location info.

tbssubaru; I'll check the manual and see what it says about the warranty. Thanks for the heads up.

Canister problem sounds weird - it's not much than a bottle filled with an absorption material.

Only problem I can think of is if it's cracked, but I think it's more likely you have a broken hose somewhere. Maybe a rodent consumed a hose. It may be a good idea to check that.

453747.png

Canister problem sounds weird - it's not much than a bottle filled with an absorption material.

Only problem I can think of is if it's cracked, but I think it's more likely you have a broken hose somewhere. Maybe a rodent consumed a hose. It may be a good idea to check that.

+1...and the cannister is not covered, unless you live in CA or a state that enforces CA emission standards.

The stealership says the valve is operating properly and the valve is part of the canister. I'm going to try to confirm this with SOA. If it is part of the canister, I've found the part for $85 less than what the stealership wants for it. And it looks like I can probably replace it myself. If it's not part of the canister then I'm back to square one. I'll keep you posted.

• 3 weeks later...
With everything I've got going on right now I let the stealership replace it, which was a big mistake. The very next time I drove it the check engine light came back on. Stealership said they would "work with me" on the diagnosing the problem AGAIN. Hmmm... I think I'm really screwed now.

They are screwing you... They will run the trial and error on your car until they find the problem and when they do you will have paid them a pile of money to no use.

Many workshops are just reading codes and taking a guess at which component that should be replaced without thinking.

Do a full hose/pipe-check and see if you can find the problem. It shouldn't be that hard, even if you may get dirty in the process.

453747.png

Archived