LegacyGT.com

What to do to imrpove stock suspension

Well today I just drove my friends bone stock GTI and let me tell you this thing drove like it was on rails. I was just wondering what kind of things you could do to our cars to improve the handling and soak up some of the body roll, without compromising safety. Any info would be greatly appreciated, links, brands, user opinions, anything you've got!

I upgraded to Cusco swaybars front and rear. I also installed STi springs which firmed up the ride and lowered it a little bit. I think I will be moving to coilovers sometime this year. I also plan on getting some underbraces too.

There are many type of manufactures for swaybars and springs. Those are pretty much the two you want to upgrade to get firmer in the corners.

You should also check out the Suspension/Brakes sub-forum for more information. Do a few searches and you should get a lot of the information you are looking for.

Start off reading this thread to read up on suspension basics.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571&highlight=improve+suspension

This should help you get started on some reading for a similar question of yours

Searched: improve + suspension

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93499&highlight=improve+suspension

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89955&highlight=improve+suspension

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77130&highlight=improve+suspension

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62878&highlight=improve+suspension

I also installed STi springs which firmed up the ride and lowered it a little bit. I think I will be moving to coilovers sometime this year. I also plan on getting some underbraces too.

dibs on the STI springs!! :)

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

yeah, I'm an ass man.....and I don't want that:lol:

I have a sedan... you have a wagon. You will get supreme ass sag :lol:
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

^^ They make front sway bars from Rallitek specifically for the 2.5i, so I'd just get that one anyway.

Any 2.5i's on here have the Rallitek Red Springs installed? I think I'm going to get them, but don't know if they will be alright on stock struts or if I should get those too.

Doesn't answer the stock strut question, but here's a review of the Ralliteks on stock struts:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77831&highlight=rallitek

^^ They make front sway bars from Rallitek specifically for the 2.5i, so I'd just get that one anyway.

Any 2.5i's on here have the Rallitek Red Springs installed? I think I'm going to get them, but don't know if they will be alright on stock struts or if I should get those too.

just put this exact spring set up on last night. as soon as i got it down off the lift i could see a noticeable drop, and as ive read, they will continue to settle in in the next week. as far as handling, again, another sudden notice is less, much less roll. steering seems tighter too. ive yet to give it a run down the windy roads near home just yet, being less than 24 hours on em, bt thus far, im very staisfied all around with product, service and install. install took maybe two hours, between to friends in no rush.

just put this exact set p on last night. as soon as i got it down off the lift i o could see a noticeable drop, and as ive read, they will continue to settle in in the next week. as far as handling, again, another sudden notice is less, much less roll. steering seems tighter too. ive yet to give it a run down the windy roads near home just yet, being less than 24 hours on em, bt thus far, im very staisfied all around with product, service and install. install took maybe two hours, between to friends in no rush.

O really? Fairly simple? Anything you went by or are you just some suspension guru? :cool:

lol, no guru. funny thing was, the guy that helped me, (took it to my align tech at our bodyhsop ) had never done springs before, GO FIGURE. we didn't have any instructions, and i assumed we wouldn't need any, and we were ok. just need a spring press and it would help to have a lift. made it much easier in lifting and lowering the car to get the struts in and out. we had to search for the rear strut mounts, (take seat out, basically still inside trunk, 2 bolts) what was kinda off what that we couldn't figure out for the rears, does the compressed part of the spring go upside or downside. i again ASSUMED, go based upon the print/writing on the springs. i called Rallitek real quick to confirm, and was done. we did have to twist the strut mounts (lower) to align with susp mounts (spring) tophats i guess you would say. it really only took an hour to do, but we goofed off and BS'd around, changing the rear spring position twice before figuring it all out. the toughest part was pulling the rear susp arms down to mount the large bolt through the lower strut. but all in all, for two very NOVICE gents, was a simple good time.

The GTi is probably the most fun fwd I've driven. I recently test drove an '09 because one of my friends is interested in it. I plan on doing anti-roll bars, cobb front and rear soon.

then you should drive a MS3, mini cooper s or cobalt SS.

Thanks for the review cino! I am definitely looking to get these springs soon.

so i think this question was asked....but im goin with the tein-s springs should i also replace my stock struts or will i be fine??

Well, it depends. The Teins are a little more performance minded than the Rallitek springs, so the spring rate is going to be higher and wear on your stock struts more.

If I had the money, I'd ideally get the Swift Springs and some Bilstein HD Struts, but that's way out of my budget right now. The Rallitek springs are a good choice it seems because it lowers our cars and you can get away with keeping your stock struts. Teins might not be able to do the same thing.

so i think this question was asked....but im goin with the tein-s springs should i also replace my stock struts or will i be fine??

i've had my s-tech springs on for over 50000km and i dun notice anything negative with the struts... i think s-techs are the lowest springs... and i kinda regret it cuz it's way too low and the ride's way too bumpy... save a little more and buy higher quality springs... with less drop...

Archived