LegacyGT.com

Who will be putting a boost gauge in?

Guest *Jedimaster*

Guest *Jedimaster*
I'm looking at pictures like mad trying to figure out where to put one without losing the little compartment in the center of the dash.

I don't know if I will add a boost gauge. I want to make sure that the integrity and flow of the beautiful interior doesn't diminish. It will have to be almost exactly matching the stock interior colors and be put in a non-obtrusive area for me to consider it.

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='Gumby']It will mess up the classy look of the interior, not for me.[/quote] I was thinking that too, but I really like watching the little needle move :lol:

I never got around to putting one in the WRX, it's kinda obvious what's happening but I guess it would be cool to actually see the needle move along with the thrust.

[quote name='jedimaster'][quote name='Gumby']It will mess up the classy look of the interior, not for me.[/quote] I was thinking that too, but I really like watching the little needle move :lol:[/quote] I know I would like it too, but it might end up looking boy racer.. if they just could have integrated it somehow in the GT and turbo models. In the dash cluster or something. That would have been tremendous.

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='SC GT']This might look okay in a Leg: [img]http://www.subiegal.com/for%20sale/my01pod.JPG[/img][/quote] That looks like a good option- I definitely don't want one of those gauge pillars or anything.

That pod mount will stick out like a sore thumb I think. They would also have to design one that has the soft touch plastics that the legacy dash has. I just don't like that pod for some reason. I can't put my finger on it exactly.

That pod doesn't fit in if you ask me. I'm possibly going to add one down the road when I actually start doing some modding, then it will probably fit in the center compartment. The Defi's and Omori's (spelling?) are both very nice. My bud has the same guages shown above in his STi. I think he got those from HA on the boards here.

I'm definately going to add at least a boost gauge and an EGT gauge once I start tuning. Function over form I guess. I like the look of the Defi gauges above, and they look like they might match the gauges pretty well. The question is now, where to mount them. If a similar product to the autometer bezel for the WRX is released for the Legacy, I'd consider it.

Guest *Jedimaster*
That's why I'm not mounting one on the steering column- those nice electro-thingamobob gauges and a regular old gauge obstructing it?

The real question is why? Unless you plan to mod the car, a boost gauge is bling. Some say that you can tell when the car is underperforming by looking at the boost gauge, but if the car is underperforming, you know it already. If someone is planning to run a boost controller or some other primitive mod, boost and EGT gauges would be necessary. Other than that, nope. Kevin

[quote name='gtguy']The real question is why? Unless you plan to mod the car, a boost gauge is bling. Some say that you can tell when the car is underperforming by looking at the boost gauge, but if the car is underperforming, you know it already. If someone is planning to run a boost controller or some other primitive mod, boost and EGT gauges would be necessary. Other than that, nope. Kevin[/quote] As stated before, I WOULD plan on modding mine. [quote]That autometer bezel is nice, though I doubt that they will make one for the GT. It still covers up part of the ring around the spedometer I see.[/quote] How aften are you going 150-160mph? :)

[quote name='Drift Monkey'] [quote]That autometer bezel is nice, though I doubt that they will make one for the GT. It still covers up part of the ring around the spedometer I see.[/quote] How aften are you going 150-160mph? :)[/quote] Just a looks thing. But that bezel definitely looks the best. Maybe something like that will be made for the Leggy.

[quote name='gtguy']If someone is planning to run a boost controller or some other primitive mod[/quote] I never understood this, Subaru went to a lot of trouble to set up electronic controls that make the WRX reliable in stock form so why would you then go and override that with a MBC? Lunacy IMO.

[quote name='Gumby'][quote name='gtguy']If someone is planning to run a boost controller or some other primitive mod[/quote] I never understood this, Subaru went to a lot of trouble to set up electronic controls that make the WRX reliable in stock form so why would you then go and override that with a MBC? Lunacy IMO.[/quote] Eleven...it's one more. I'm with you, Gumby. Then again, I don't understand modding cars for more horsepower, period. I have yet to feel a modded car that is as smooth and driveable as the original, though I admit to never having experienced a reflash, which is supposed to be the bee's knees. Personally, in the hands of a good driver, the WRX is too much for the public way. And the unmodded Legacy will be even faster? I don't get it, but I'm an acknowledged fuddy-duddy. Kevin

[quote name='gtguy'][quote name='Gumby'][quote name='gtguy']If someone is planning to run a boost controller or some other primitive mod[/quote] I never understood this, Subaru went to a lot of trouble to set up electronic controls that make the WRX reliable in stock form so why would you then go and override that with a MBC? Lunacy IMO.[/quote] Eleven...it's one more. I'm with you, Gumby. Then again, I don't understand modding cars for more horsepower, period. I have yet to feel a modded car that is as smooth and driveable as the original, though I admit to never having experienced a reflash, which is supposed to be the bee's knees. Personally, in the hands of a good driver, the WRX is too much for the public way. And the unmodded Legacy will be even faster? I don't get it, but I'm an acknowledged fuddy-duddy. Kevin[/quote] It's not that you're a fuddy-duddy Kev it's that the others are petrol headed thrill seekers. Recently I've been exploring the limits of my stock car a bit more since I've been solo without the wife and kids. I totally agree with your 6/10ths assessment, it's not at all difficult to be going so much faster than your fellow road users that you're a menace, not to mention a candidate for some attention from the law.

I think there is some "gee whiz" factor in a boost gauge. Personally, I'm going this weekend for a test drive and measuring the dash opening to see if it is a candidate for one of those DIN gauge sets from Defi: [url]http://www.defi-shop.com/product/din/din_top.html[/url] My personal preference would be to install the DIN gauges behind the door of the dash space and close the door if I want the "stock" look and open it up to view the gauges. Anyone ever installed the sensors for those gauges? My past few cars all came stock with all the sensors and all I had to do was hook up the gauges.

Archived