LegacyGT.com

water spots!

rallispec

I have VERY hard water (well water)

i washed my car about 2 weeks ago after it snowed (bascially just a good rinsing to get off road salt and bad chemicals) -- dried it off -- however i've still got water spots on all my windows.

I've tried cleaning my windows with windex - but cannot get rid of the water spots.!

OCDetails where are yoU!?!!!

help me 1) get rid of my water spots, and 2) prevent them in the future

rallispec, I live fairly close to you, not on well water but have had similiar problems. Do you find that your windows get water spots on them when you are washing the car with direct sunlight on them? This happens to me and I find if I dry them off fast it helps.

Also, what do you use to dry the car? I first start with this thing called the california blade. It's a squeegy for your car with a very soft rubber lip on it. Then I use a chamois for finishing touches.

Hope that helps some.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Well, if they are too bad then you might have to bust out the 000 Steel Wool on them. You should be able to locate some glass polish that does the trick. One Grand (makers of the fabulous Blitz wax) makes a glass polish. There is one made by Autoglym as well. I believe David sells Autoglym at the Autopia-carcare.com store. Another possible solution is to get a glass repair kit. That way in the future if you have scratches or glass damage you will be prepared for it. Here is one such kit. Diamondite also makes a great glass polishing kit. Here is one place you can get it. There are others too if you do a search for 'diamondite'. I use a glass polish made by RainX. I can't find it on the shelf anymore, but I stocked up the last time I saw it. Its very gritty kind of like Soft Scrub. It does the trick on water spots though.

Hopefully that isn't information overload. lol I highly suggest the Diamondite kit for your situation. It should take care of the waterspots and protect the glass from future problems with it. Let me know if you have any questions. I'm always happy to help. :)

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

that Diamondite kit looks nice -- 30 dollars isnt too bad either. Hopefully that should get rid of the spots on the windows -- they really annoy me. (they were really bad on my old nissan too - but i had gotten to the point that i just accepted them -- not going to let that happen with this car)

c-lo - i just used paper towels to dry off the windows - but they really suck. I think i've seen that 'blade' thing you mentioned -- that does a good job of getting all the water off?

I need to order some nice microfiber drying towels - i know i saw them mentioned on OCDetails website.

I use a california water blade all the time. I mainly use it on the glass now. There is a great technique you can use on your car if it is waxes that almost eliminates the need to dry. Here is an article my friend Dwayne at www.premiumautocare.com wrote. It is an awesome way to get the job done without any risk of introducing new swirls to the paint.

How to Wash and Dry Your Car

OCDETAILS BLOG

Yep I love it. I got mine for free. Found it on a side street to this neighborhood I used to drive through. Thought it was my neighbors, but he still had his.

Ocdetails, thanks for the article

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

OCDetails, I usually habd wash my car at least once a week. But when it's too cold or don't have time I run it through one of those brushless/no cloth car washes. Any problems with doing that?

Most of the swirls that are caused by washing the car are either from a crappy wash mitt or a crappy drying towel. If this is a brushless type wash then you are safe from swirls there. I would just worry about what the guys drying are using. If you can dry it yourself then that would be better.

I generally don't worry too much about swirls and stuff in the winter. As soon as spring rolls around I deal with swirls by polishing the car and re-sealing/waxing. Even if you use the best tools in the winter you still have to deal with salt spray scratching your paint on the freeway. There are all kinds of nasty things that get all over your paint and you can't control it. So I choose not to obsess (too much) and I just deal with it for a few months and clean it up in the Spring.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived