LegacyGT.com

Buy a Subaru in 2009 and get a tax credit?

Apparently there a provision in the new stimulus bill that will allow a temporary deduction for interest and tax paid on new cars purchased in 2009.

"Temporary deduction for car buyers: The bill would let those who buy a car in 2009 deduct the interest they pay on their car loan as well as the sales tax charged in the purchase. The full deduction would be available to those earning less than $125,000 ($250,000 for joint filers). Estimated cost: $11 billion."

http://money.cnn.com/2009/02/11/news/economy/stimulus_individuals/index.htm?postversion=2009021122?cnn=yes

I just bot a new 'used' car...in states where there is no state income tax, we can deduct any and all sales tax so that is already the case for us...the laon int. would be great.

BTW, a $15,000 tax credit for home buyers already passed. THAT is a good deal!

Rehab is for quitters.

You can be 100% sure. The car loan interest provision and the $15K first time home buyer credit did not get included.

This CNN article updated this morning says you can deduct the sales tax but says nothing about the interest. I think I like this better than letting people deduct interest.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/02/13/news/economy/stimulus_individuals/index.htm

"Temporary deduction for car buyers: The bill would let those who buy a new car, light vehicle, recreational vehicle or motorcycle in 2009 deduct state and local sales taxes as well as any excise tax charged in the purchase. The deduction would be available to those earning less than $125,000 ($250,000 for joint filers). It will be an above-the-line deduction, meaning even taxpayers who don't itemize may take it in addition to the standard deduction. Estimated cost: $1.7 billion."

Going from 11 to 1.7 billion. Not nearly as good of a deal but better than nothing. Sounds complicated. Do you basically look at the contract to find-out how you paid in taxes then divide by the number of years ?

Going from 11 to 1.7 billion. Not nearly as good of a deal but better than nothing. Sounds complicated. Do you basically look at the contract to find-out how you paid in taxes then divide by the number of years ?

Why would you have to divide by the number of years? The sales tax is paid at the time of purchase regardless of the term of the loan or if you have a loan. Sales tax you paid is based on where you live so you can probably find it on your county's website. Take that percentage and multiply it by what you paid for the car and that's the sales tax. Since it's a deduction not a tax credit, how much you will actually save will be based on your income tax bracket.

This is why this whole bill is a bunch of shit. No one knows what the hell is in it, and 200 pages have been added in the last 24-48 hours.

Oh yeah, and they just posted the bill in a PDF image format to make searching much harder (instead of converting a raw word file direclty into a PDF, which makes searching easier). And they broke their promise to put all bills on the website for 48 hours prior to requesting a vote on that bill.

Grrrr.

Everyone including myself overlooked his link...now it seems the fine print has been ironed-out.

It still seems complicated on the details but this seems to be the gist of it:

"...It's estimated this will save the average family $1,500 towards the purchase of a new car costing $25,000.

How does it work?

The Auto Assistance Ownership Amendment makes interest payments on loans and state sales/excise car taxes deductable for any new car sold between November 12, 2008 and December 31, 2009..."

I assume this is for purchases only and not leases.

Everyone including myself overlooked his link...now it seems the fine print has been ironed-out.

It still seems complicated on the details but this seems to be the gist of it:

"...It's estimated this will save the average family $1,500 towards the purchase of a new car costing $25,000.

How does it work?

The Auto Assistance Ownership Amendment makes interest payments on loans and state sales/excise car taxes deductable for any new car sold between November 12, 2008 and December 31, 2009..."

I assume this is for purchases only and not leases.

I saw the article and noted that it was posted on Feb 4th. That article was written long before the vote today, that's why I posted the CNN link. I believe the CNN article is the most up to date and what actually went into the bill.

Archived