LegacyGT.com

hail damage!!!

exactly 3 weeks and 5500 miles into my journey with my atlantic blue legacy gt wagon ... driving up to TN from ATL, i ran into a nasty hail storm. quarter size hail :eek: pounded the crap out of my car for almost 3-5 min; there was no overpass, exit, canopy etc for over a mile. :(

the car looks like swiss cheese. the roof has at least 1 hundred dents, the hood has almost as much, rear right panel and both sides are all dented. :mad:

i have never seen hail that big and the storm that sudden. i hate hail!!!

and i always parked as far away as possible from other cars/moving objects. i feel violated!

just spoke to my progressive agent, but will not get it looked at until the weekend. i can only hope that they total the car. i do not think that they could fix it right and make it look brand new.

what do you all think? will the insurance company pay me off, or will they try to fix it?

...what a crappy day...

EDITED: Title for foul language

I had a '98 Accord that got hit with a HUGE storm here in VA in '99. The whole car was repainted after the bodywork is done. My parents and my brother both had damage too - a '99 Acura TL and '98 Accord. They both got paintless dent repair, despite the extensive damage. My car looked like crap - you couldn't tell anything was wrong on theirs.

If the insurance company wants to do conventional body work - don't do it. Paintless is the only way to go......alot of work, but you won't take the hit on your resale like a respray would do.

Just my experience.....YMMV

keep going.

LOL....lets just say I obliged to prove his hummer isn't as bullet-proof as he thought. His apparent INS record ain't the best so when I threatened to call the cops to file a report he offered $300 to cover the headlight. All in all it was a good 20min of my life I will never get back. Rich bastard!!!!

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Guest *Jedimaster*
LOL....lets just say I obliged to prove his hummer isn't as bullet-proof as he thought. His apparent INS record ain't the best so when I threatened to call the cops to file a report he offered $300 to cover the headlight. All in all it was a good 20min of my life I will never get back. Rich bastard!!!!

I'd tell him to give me whatever cash he had on him,follow him to the ATM, get the 300 and let him learn a lesson.

When the hail started, couldn't you bang a VERY quick U-Turn and go back the way you came....where there wasn't ANY hail and find a place to park your car under and wait it out?

By the way, I'm no expert on hail damage, but it's doubtful your brand new car would be totalled from just sheetmetal damage.

no way they'll total it. doesn't the damage have to be like over 50% the value of the car (may vary by insurance co.)? 2 years ago someone ran a red light and hit my wife's 1 year old forester in the left rear wheel. $11K of damage but wouldn't total it because the car was worth over $22K. 52 days in the shop. I have Geico by the way.

Geico sucks.

There tag line is "15 minutes could save you 15% or more on your car insurance."

Key word their is "COULD"

But more accurately and appropriate would be, "15 minute call could save you 15% or more on your car insurance but more than likely get you a 15% higher insurance quote than with the company you have now"

by the time the hail started coming down it was too late to do anything, and there was no place to do a u-turn, no overpass etc.

stopped by a subaru/mitsu/vw dealership in bristol, tn on my way to a customer and had the car looked at by the body shop manager. he told me what to look for on the invoice once i have the estimates (great advice!) and said that every body panel (except for the hatch & bumpers) will need to be pulled and painted; window moldings and the hood will need to be replaced. bumpers and hatch blended to match.

around $4-6k in damages and it should take around 2-3 weeks to fix. i will try to get some estimates back home in atl, but i am affraid all body shops will be covered up due to N atl being hit pretty hard.

the windshield did not crack, but it is chipped. will prolly need to get that filled.

the car will not be totalled; the damage would have to be over 80% of the value. i will find out more details once i see the progressive agent over the weekend.

all in all a waste of resources, time, and money. thanks mother nature :mad:

Archived