LegacyGT.com

XM Antenna location..inside or out??

c-lo

WEnt over to Best Buy today to talk to the car stereo installers about putting in my modulator. the guy suggested putting the antenna outside the car as it will get better reception. Had it inside my last car on the dash and had great reception, but ok. My question is this:

1. Install the antenna outside on the roof in the middle of the car at the windshield line?

2. Run it to the back middle?

3. Leave it inside.

Little worried about having them install is outside, partly for looks and partly for them messing with the windshield. Difinitely getting one of the most experienced guys to put in the modulator because he said he hadn't seen that dash yet, and didn't want some new guy messing with it.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I put my xm radio antenna on the back just above the rear window. The antenna that came with the SkyFi2 Car kit has a really small antenna, very onobtrusive. Getting the wire (thankfully small) under the window weather striping was easy and took about 10 minutes total. I did it in the parking lot after I bought the kit. Still need to get the wire installed permanently inside, but outside it is done.

why would they have to mess with the windsheild? you should run the antenna to the back of the car, and run the wire around the molding of the rear window - (it fits down in the seal) - very quick and painless and thats the way that it says to do in the XM installation manual.

My antenna is mounted on my trunk at the moment - and it looks fine.

However if you get decent reception with the antenna inside your car, might as well do that.

With the wagon, I thought about running it inside the car all the way to the back and looping it around the trunk jam to the outside and right on the edge of the roof line. Thought that would look better than the front. Hope I have enough cable. have to check.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

one note about putting the antenna outside your car-- it will almost definitely end up scratching your paint wherever you stick it too.

i've already got marks on my legacy from where the antenna sits, and had a nice scratch on my nissan in the same spot. No matter how hard you try to avoid it, somebody is going to end up sliding the antenna around either while washing it or while it's in the shop or even when you're just showing it off in the parking lot... un avoidable.

How about apply a light sticky 3m material on before mounting it? I know it's a magnet, but maybe that will help? Think I'll try it.

mounted the antenna on the back of the roof line by the tail gate last night. Think I'll need more cable to get it to the front not sure I have enough.

How about apply a light sticky 3m material on before mounting it? I know it's a magnet, but maybe that will help? Think I'll try it.

mounted the antenna on the back of the roof line by the tail gate last night. Think I'll need more cable to get it to the front not sure I have enough.

if you have the cable that came on the stock antenna -- it should more than long enough. I"ve got about 4-5 feet coiled up in my trunk right now.

one note about using the 3M. I think the main reason for putting it on the roof in the first place is that metal on metal contact between the car and antenna can boost your rececption. If you put tape in between that, you loose that extra reception -- so you might as well have left the antenna in the car.

-At least thats the impression i'm under.

HMMM, good point. While at the store the other day I found some 3m poster double sided tape. That is what I'm refering to. I'll give it a shot and see how it works and let you know. Still need to order my fm modulator so it'll be a couple of weeks.

FWIW, yes, the metal contact with the body does increase reception. It creates a bigger ground plane which helps any antenna. However, mounting on the dashboard is less than ideal for another reason. When you pass under an overpass (for example), the metal roof of the car blocks the only path of reception if you are facing a northerly direction (satellites are equatorial orbit, so souther sky).

However, it's just a magnetic coupling. So, I'm going to get some bulk "rockblocker" material and put that down to protect the paint. My old car had a nice outline where the antenna was which had to be polished out.

Archived