LegacyGT.com

fixed sagging glovebox!

naimouasta

i searched for ways to fix the glovebox sag and didn't find a solution so i tackled it myself while changing the cabin filter. what you have to do is slightly bend the metal loop that the glovebox grabs onto when you close. i must warn you to bend very small amounts at a time and evenly on both sides and then test before bending more. not my fault if you screw it up. all you have to do is take a pair of pliers and grab near the end like in the picture and twist your wrist. simple as that. :) this should also solve the glovebox rattle for those that have it. same thing worked for my dads old 98 forester yay!

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/9700/img00332fr4.jpg

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/3229/img00330bx3.jpg

So you bent that down?

well actually i bent it up first. then my glovebox wouldn't close. i bent it back down and it actually closed better than in the beginning. so i decided to bend a little more and perfect. nice and tight. no more rattles over bumps.

• 2 weeks later...
hmm gonna try this. the rattle irritates me.

:nod: just recently realize it was my glove box... been driving around w/ it open when I don't have a passenger.

So there's that, and the overall dash rattle... it's funny that my 168k mile BD was pretty much rattle free when I traded it. Less than 50k on this one... :rolleyes:

In my '06 I don't have a rattle, but when the interior is cold, I have a squeak that goes away as the dash warms. I stuck a piece of paper along the right edge, and that helped. It was either this or drive around with the box open. I think the box closes too tightly and the dash rubs on the box on that upper right edge until things warm and expand. There is a little rubber pad bumper on the glove box edge, where it meets this loop, I was thinking I'd just get in there and play around with different thicknesses. So, your description means I should bend the loop down just a little and maybe favor that side? To get some clearance. Thanks.

^ well i think if you want to loosen or increase the gap, you bend up? for those like me who want to tighten i bent it down

glad i can help guys. it's a pretty durable piece imo, but remember, bend very little at a time. i found out it doesn't take much to get to the point where it won't close. update, this also worked on my brothers 01 2.5RS. one side was drooping more than the other so we only did one side of the metal loop, again not that much.

• 4 months later...

OMG, back from the dead!

The general fit & finish is not bad for a car in this price range except for just two things that bugged me.

One is the glovebox (can't believe I only start looking now for a fix) and the other is the trunk mat that slides all over the place not having hinges or something on the side facing the back seats.

All else is good.

Thanks for sharing !!!!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

• 3 months later...

Ok I tried this and the metal loop won't bend. ???

Funny thing is, the base of it is flexible as if it were mounted to a soft piece of plastic or hard piece of rubber. Maybe this was an attempt for SOA to fix it.

All I know is that if I try to bend it it feels like it will break off at the base.

???

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

try harder! lol. yes the base is flexible, but the metal loop should be able to bend. just be careful. also, grab the loop from the sides, like in the picture. do one side at a time; if you grab at the front, it would be tough to bend because of the flex in the base.

Archived