LegacyGT.com

cobb or invidia dp?

1fastsuby

I have an 08 lgt mt and I am looking to go stage 2. I already have the spt cbe and intake but cant decide on the downpipe. im really not impressed with the megan racing dp, so i am concidering either the cobb or the invidia divorced wastegate dp (both catted). they look to have similar build quality, anyone have any advice?...preferences?

thanks

chris

Talk to Fred Bean Parts - one of the vendors here on the forum... He has really good deals on the invidia DP's, well, good deals on all the stuff he carries :)

Personally I'm going with the invidia just for price issues, but I've also read its a very solid performer and they have perfect fitament now. Used to be slightly off, but now its great.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

If you go with the invidia, with the spt(I think is a 2.5 Inch piped Exhaust) you will need an adapter. I just ordered my stage two set up from Jeremy and he is the best in the business. I decided to go with the invida because of the smokin deal he has going on, and buy and adapter from 3" to 2.5"

those are great prices but those are all catless...im new to this whole turbo thing but wont going catless make my car run like ass? will this effect the way my car tests when they check emissions? these are the reasons that i have been wanting to go with a catted one...but if these are not true then i will go catless

btw...the spt is a 3" exhaust according to the fred beans parts website

With a turbo setup you want alot less restrictive exhaust system. N/A needs some restriction because it needs back pressure. i went with a catless invidia dp. The more exhaust gases you can get rid of the better. heat kills turbos so a lower EGT(exhaust gas temperature) is better and safer to turn up boost pressure for tuning. My 05 lgt had 2 cat converters so only having one is still legal. hope that help sway you toward going catless.

If the SPT is 3" then I would do the Invidia great pipe, on a great deal from Jeremy over at Fred Beans. My Invidia Catted pipe will be here Tuesday from him =)

Cobb is a great product just a bit over priced.

If you need to pass emissions then you need to have a catted pipe. Un-catted will Smell, and will fail a sniffer test but give your a 1-2 more hp.

It can give you more than 1-2 hp if your looking to tune. And may i ask why you need to pass a emissions test. Ive never heard of anyone getting tested. More likely to get in trouble for to dark of window tint or something haha.

In Colorado we have emissions testing that we have to go in and they test our cars on a dyno while sniffer testing them. But they also have road side vans, that check to see if you are polluting, if you are above a certain level you get flagged and have to go get another emissions test with in 30 days.

that is exactly why i want a catted dp...i live in houston, texas and we also have very strict emissions laws, not as bad as california, but bad enough to at least attempt to stay legal...fred beans also has a killer deal going on for the catted invidia dp's so thats what i will probably end up getting

thanks to all that replied

chris

I'd get the Cobb..I have an Invidia and I'm not impressed much.I had to grind down the wastegate diverter to keep it from hitting the valve and causing over-boost.Plus the Cat on the Invidia is about an inch away from you CV boots and will cause them to bake and crack prematurely.I havent tried the Cobb but it cant be any worse than the Invidia.

I'd get the Cobb..I have an Invidia and I'm not impressed much.I had to grind down the wastegate diverter to keep it from hitting the valve and causing over-boost.Plus the Cat on the Invidia is about an inch away from you CV boots and will cause them to bake and crack prematurely.I havent tried the Cobb but it cant be any worse than the Invidia.

I heard that Invidia fixed the problem with the wastegate diverter, how long ago did you buy your pipe?

And with the CAT, its no closer to the top than stock isnt it? Not saying your wrong about overheating or anything, but I would assume it would be similar to stock setup?

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

They said they fixed it, by just shortening the seperator.I bought it in August. I could see the mark where it was hitting right after install and vaguely hear it as well.The old style next to the new is so obvious you'll know which one you have.

The stock DP is close but it's smaller in diameter and gives off much less heat due to all the shielding that's on them.Plus when installed the pipe is much closer to the ground and may cause some contact isssues on a much lower Legacy.

Look for Korpsepatrols post about this issue..this not a new problem @all even for the newer style pipes.

First off to clairify, removing even 1 functioning catalytic converter is a technically a federal violation. Even if you keep 1 in place and there was 2 before, it's still a violation. The only time replacement is allowed is when they fail. Period. 2, if you go to a legitimate inspection station and they know that your car had a cat in the DP and now there isn't one, you fail. 3, it has been proven time and time again that removing cats does not provide a measurable increase in power. If anything, they may gain you a slight bump in low end torque. 4, lowering EGT is a good thing but a higher temp will help a turbo spool because the gasses and more dispersed and moving more quickly.

Um... WuT? You mean to tell me this whole intake and exhaust thread is pointless since there is no need for any aftermarket dp cause its illegal and won't give you any power? NO WAI!

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

first off to clairify, removing even 1 functioning catalytic converter is a technically a federal violation. Even if you keep 1 in place and there was 2 before, it's still a violation. The only time replacement is allowed is when they fail. Period. 2, if you go to a legitimate inspection station and they know that your car had a cat in the dp and now there isn't one, you fail. 3, it has been proven time and time again that removing cats does not provide a measurable increase in power. If anything, they may gain you a slight bump in low end torque. 4, lowering egt is a good thing but a higher temp will help a turbo spool because the gasses and more dispersed and moving more quickly

5,....you are a nooge :)

Um... WuT? You mean to tell me this whole intake and exhaust thread is pointless since there is no need for any aftermarket dp cause its illegal and won't give you any power? NO WAI!

Did I say that it was pointless? Show me where. I also said running a cat compared to none won't improve power. I never said using an aftermarket DP won't increase power. I simply said removing a functioning cat is still a federal violation one way or another. Will I go to a Stg2 and beyond? I sure hope so, just when my warranty is up and I have the cash. Will it stop others from doing it? Hell, no.;)

going catless wont make more power, but its less restrictive and when you turn boost up one of the things you look at is egt. with a less restrictive exhaust you can get more heat out. therefor going catless is a benefit to tuning your car. Im not saying its the only thing you need to do to turn boost up, im just simply saying its one of the things you look at.

• 3 weeks later...
Did I say that it was pointless? Show me where. I also said running a cat compared to none won't improve power. I never said using an aftermarket DP won't increase power. I simply said removing a functioning cat is still a federal violation one way or another. Will I go to a Stg2 and beyond? I sure hope so, just when my warranty is up and I have the cash. Will it stop others from doing it? Hell, no.;)

Why wait until your warranty is out? Legally, changing parts on your car can NOT void your warranty. The only time your warranty is ever an issue is when something breaks as a DIRECT result of a non-factory item. It is at that point, that THAT part is not covered under warranty. All in all, I don't see a dp having such an adverse effect on the car so as to warrant waiting until a warranty expires.

Just wanted to throw that in...sorry to go ot.

Archived