LegacyGT.com

Roof cargo box suggestions for '06 wagon?

I'd like to get a rooftop cargo box (SportRack Explorer, Xcargo Sport 20, etc.) for my 2006 Legacy wagon with factory crossbars. If anybody would share their experiences of what works and what doesn't, that would be great.

The Xcargo Sport 20 says the roof rack should be rated to at least 150 lbs., so it seems like it might not be the best choice (roof capacity = 100 lbs.). For some boxes it's hard to find the required crossbar spacing, so I want to be sure not to buy something that won't fit.

Several boxes recommend not driving at highway speeds with less than 50 lbs. in the box. Since these boxes weight 30 - 40 lbs. empty and the car's rack has a capactiy of 100 lbs., there is not much distance between this minimum box load and the maximum roof load. How important is it really to always have at least 50 lbs. in the box?

I've got a Thule box (think its the 1200, can confirm later) that I use with my Yakima towers/crossbars. Fits just fine and doesn't hit the rear hatch spoiler when the towers are adjusted to the right position.

The rack rails on our cars can easily support over 200 lbs with Yakima style crossbars. I've never had a problem cruising on the interstate with the cargo box on the roof and empty.

I think that Subaru is being VERY conservative with their ratings and recommendations.

Thule1.thumb.JPG.1cc84ebe541447f4819a72c41c34b63e.JPG

Thule2.thumb.JPG.871d1cbe185d33097bfd8ff0be90e7ee.JPG

I'm very happy with our Thule Ascent 1600. Before that I had borrowed my brother's Thule Evolution 1600 (not made any longer). Both work quite well on our OB, and we can open the rear gate fully. We use the factory crossbars.

Both boxes have been quite quiet at highway speeds.

BTW, rubberman's looks to my eye to be a 1600, although maybe it is narrower (hard to tell from angle). The 1600 is that length.

The opening from either side is quiet nice as we keep our box centered.

--Lee

• 3 months later...
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I ended up getting a used Thule Evolution 1600 which is perfect for my needs: fits on the car nicely but long enough for (most) skis. Now I just need to figure out where to put it when I'm not using it!

Archived