LegacyGT.com

98 LGT 4EAT slippage

levis76

Well my great condition 98 LGT that I picked up a few weeks ago is turning into a real money pit. Not only does it have an internal HG leak but the 4EAT slips quite a bit going into 3rd. 1st to 2nd is ok, even has a little kick almost like a shift kit would give you, but 2nd to 3rd I can feel the trans slipping. If I let up on the throttle just as its shifting I can reduce the slippage and its fine, but if I stay on it there is a very noticeable delay in 3rd gear. The OD kicks in ok too. I'm not sure if it slips much downshifting into 3rd, but I can check that this weekend. The trans was flushed at 165K and it now has 175K, so I don't think that will get me anywhere. Do I need a rebuild? And please, no 'take that auto and replace it with a manual' suggestions, if I had wanted a stick I would have bought one. I drive in traffic constantly, and I don't like manuals in the city. City driving + Manual trans = biannual clutch repairs.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, certainly not good if it's that dark that fast.

Check your front diff oil (left side of the bellhousing on the transmission) and see if there is ATF in there, or you have no gear oil on the dipstick. Means there is an internal leak on the seal between the diff. and tranny.

Does this qualify as slip? When the car shifts, it feels almost like it stays in this in-between period where the revs are higher and then after 2-3 seconds it clicks into the next gear. It's just a long delay, it's not like the revs slowly come back down and it "re-grips" if you know what I mean.

Mine kicks into second. It's more pronounced at lower loads and almost imperceptible at high load (i.e., accelerating uphill.) Also, it seems to shift from second to fourth, and then back up to third a second later. It has done this since I bought the car 20k ago, and not changed at all, even after a fluid C/O. Hasn't gotten worse so I don't worry at all. Consistency is more important to me than perfect shifting...

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

Mine kicks into second. It's more pronounced at lower loads and almost imperceptible at high load (i.e., accelerating uphill.)

Yup. It's not an issue when I'm accelerating on the road, but when I'm slowly cruising around a parking lot or something, it's like I've been rear ended at 15 mph. I try to let off the throttle when I know it's about to shift so that it's smoother.

Then there's coasting downhill when it upshifts. That can sometimes cause the car to slow violently for a second as it changes gear.

Flushed mine twice. Amsoil ATF in there now. Very little improvement in my case. Some have suggested using Auto-Rx, but I can't dumping expensive ass Amsoil just to fix something that hasn't gotten worse or even changed all really in the past 20k miles. I've got 193k miles, so if it aint broke don't fix it is my mentality now... : P

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

I think you meant, Manual transmissions for the win! ;)

Read OP.

Fluid flush is just going to treat the symptom, not solve the problem, although its a better temp fix than additives. There are no 'magical fluids' that will repair a trans. Most will only mask the problem until its so bad your stranded on the side of the road with a car that runs but won't drive. Same goes for engine additives like motor honey and cylinder sealant. That crap does so much more damage. When I called, the guy even asked if I had used any additives, saying that if I had it will definitely need an overhaul. I'm taking mine to my local Aamco shop later this week to be diagnosed. I am not looking forward to what the tech has to say, but I'm guessing just a worn clutch pack and maybe some bad seals. If they have to remove and crack it open to repair it(and you know they will), I am going to have them overhaul it. It would be retarded not to. Almost 2/3 the cost is going to be labor, and most of the labor is removal and installation anyways and it comes with a nice warranty. Besides, after calling and researching online, a replacement trans is way to costly. Dealer wants $3K for a reman'd trans and the cheapest low mileage trans I could find was from an '02 so I don't know if that would even fit in my 98. Doubt it. So overhaul is basically my only viable option.

yep I have the same issue also!! 94 turbo legacy same hard 2nd! but if under heavy load it does'nt shft hard but very nice actually!! into 3rd that same shifts sits in the middle for a sec or 2 then hits into 3rd! So the old fluid looked like motor oil (almost) so I cleaned the filter and flushed it!! It's a little better got my lock up back!! when cold the time between 2nd and 3rd is longer and lock up won't happen till the tranny is hot!! is that normal???? but when hot its not so bad the 2nd to 3rd I mean! under heavy load the time between is much less and almost normal shift just a little soft!~! and also it seems that my transfer is sticking on tight turns in the parking lot in 1st and reverse (the most) so I get the Idea to pull the conections off (at the back of the engine on top of the end of the bellhousing on the diff! theres 2 big square conections i took them apart sprayed them with brake kleen twice then with WD-40!!)

that made it quite abit better!!!!!! the 2nd's not so harsh at low throttle speeds the 3rd is still a bit squishy but when hot almost perfect like less than a sec at the worst throttle spot (like every day accel point! blending with traffic thats when mine is the worst anyways) and at light throttle it is like every other shift!!!! the transfer is a bit better too!! But is still there when you turn real tight in forward but not so bad!! but in reverse still kinda bad!!! so with the shifting I think that that was most of the problem!! But who knows how long it was like that before I had it! so the way it is now is much better!! but the damage done to the internals might be from it not comunicating well!!!! causing extra wear on the clutches and stuff (they might have had it!!!)( but it is like 88% better than before) so I would suggest trying it out if you have a little mechanical skill!!!!! it's kinda hard to get the conections apart!!! but try at that and take out your filter and clean it with some varsol and flush the tranny!! maybe Your problems will be over! IF IT HASEN'T BEEN DOING IT FOR A LONG TIME!!!!!!

good luck Jesse

Archived