LegacyGT.com

Stretching tires on stock 17's.

boostsr20

Check out this sticky at the top of the Wheels/Tires Forum. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4426

Xenonk (Keefe) is our resident Subaru Tire/Wheel guy and if he doesn't recommend it, I wouldn't recommend it. Largest cross section he recommends on the stock wheel is the 215s. Let safety be your guide.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I know you can go up to 225's and many on here have indicated they are contemplating that size upgrade. :redface:

I'm with Keefe and Boostr20's tire sources that the 235s are too wide a tire for the 7" rim though.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

235/40 on a 7" is not a good idea (especially a "wide" 235).. if you are autocrossing and running high pressures, maybe, but I wouldnt do it. A 225/45/17 is best.. get a wide 225 tire (usually DOT race tires and some street legal competition tires are built just as wide as a 235 like the Falken Azenis).

A narrow rim and a tire tire makes the steering reaction sloppy.. that's why it's not worth the extra 20mm per tire when the steering feed back is lousy.

Keefe

Keefe

Thats kinda why I was asking. My last car had 6" wide wheels and I put on the 205/50/15 Azenis which are just as wide as some normal 225/50/15 street tires and I had no problems at all. Ran high speed track days and all. I don't think I want to push it with my 30K dollar car though. I'm thinking I will upgrade wheels too. Anyone know what the stock wheel weight is?

I've been reading to make sure I do not ask the question already asked. I was also pretty clueless on the amount of difference that the 225 has visually compared to the 215 and had thought it would be a waste of money.

I ignorantly (b-4 researching properly) stuck a 235/45/17 on a stock '05 lgt rim (in the front) dropped the car down from the lift and noticed the rubbing on the shock tower.

According to Keefe's sticky facts(if i had read it first) this would not work and I would have saved 25 bucks.

The question is........ If I want to stick a 225/17 on my stock rims for best "all around driving/appearance" should I go 40 sidewall or 45 ???? I know from other threads that the 45 will throw the speedo off 1.5% and that the 40 is closer to oem height when mounted.

My car is not lowered (I want to go cobb stage two when available for 305hp/345tq) and I really don't want to accentuate the height between the tire and wheel well.

What do you reccomend?? Also according to your charts for 17 inch wheels and offsets for tires, I will not have to use any spacers or anything with my stock wheels-I know you like 7.5 for 225 wide but it looks like if I play with tire pressures I can keep me and my tires happy.

This is not my beautiful car.

Archived