LegacyGT.com

Left teh Subi dealer frying.... SHOCKER, i know!

cino135

I recently set up, online, my 30K mile service warranty work. ( up to this point, other than having the wheel/hub bearing assy rplcd, free of charge It DID TAKE SOME CONVINCING ON MY PART TO gET THEM TO DO THIS) my printed online invoice stated that i would owe nothing for the work i requested, again, just a 30K service. i do most of my typical maintenance at home, i enjoy this> but on the 30K(26+ actual miles now) , i thought it would be time to rplc brake pads, maybe rotors, spark plugs, cabin filter, tire rotation (although i have done this on my own) alignment and the other NORMAL maintenance for the 30K service. I drop my car off at my Suby dealer in Chapel Hill at 7am, they FINALLY tell me that it will be anywhere from 550-600 for this service. I was shocked and asked for what would really be getting done today? the tech gave me a list of things that i WOLD HOPE would get done, the problem is. outside my oil and filer chnage, most of the issues look to be whats called INSPECTION as opposed to replacement. the list that i requested listed

ENGINE OIL-OIL FILTER

DRAIN GASKET

TIRE ROTATION(if required)

ENGINE COOLANT(inspect)

SPARK PLUGS (IF REQUIRED)

AIR CLEANER ELEMENT(inspect)

BRAKE FLUID(if required)

COOLING SYSTEM CONDITIONER

DISC BRAKE PADS AND DICS, FRONT AND REAR(if required)

AXLE BOOTS AND AXLE SAFT JOINT PORTIONS(inspect)

BRAKE LININGS AND DRUMS(inspect)

INSPECT BRAKE LINES AND CHECK OPERATION OF PARKING AND SERVICE BRAKE SYSTEM(inspect)

STEERING AND SUSPENSION

COOLING SYSTEM HOSES AND CONNECTIONS(inspect)

CLUTCH OPERATION

DRIVE BELTS (EXCEPT CAMSHAFT) AND CAMSHAFT

DRIE BELTS, EXCEPT 3.0

all of this for a GUESSTIMATED price of 550-600, plus tax

now iv had a tune up down on other cars, spark plugs, wires, oil change, etc. for less than 500. i normally change my oil and filter w Mobil 0W30, rotate tires, and have replaced the air box filter with another paper (boooo) filter because the ones i wanted were 45-50$

question (finally)i have the factory warranty till 36K and bought an additional warranty from Carmax ( yes, im second owner) till 56 or 58K. should i fork out 600 bucks for basically an oil change and inspection on the other parts? to me, this sounds like a toal scam to get me in, bill me for a tech to LOOK AT SOMETHING, then place a check mark on his clipboard? why aren't some of these items listeed and covered under my factory warranty? and REALLY 600 bucks for a CHECKUP?? i left not too pleased and new i could ask my fellow Suby heads for advice and guidance. i apologize for the long rant, but i feel certain the Subie Gods are looking over me and just hoping to guide me along. thank you all for any and every response posted in order for another (semi knowledgeable car owner ) to keep from getting shafted. i manage a body shop for Lexus and Honda. so I do have some solid background as to how the dealer/stealerships can work. OK, lay your vast knowledge upon me o wise ladies and gents, I welcome your input!

Your post is hard to understand. First there is no 30k service warranty work. Warranty is replacing failed components and the manufacturer pays for that. A service is the customer paying to have the service done on their vehicle pertaining to that mileage interval.

Are you saying their online information stated your 30k service is free? Do you have the link to that? I never have seen a free service unless it was a maintenance plan the customer purchased. You manage a body shop and have some knowledge of how this works and you should expect this not to be free.

What your 30,000 mile service should entail is this. You can verify this using your owners manual as it has Subaru's minimum maintenance guide in it.

Oil change, filter and crush washer

Tire rotation, some may balance as well

Replace air filter

Inspect and Adjust parking brake

Replace Coolant and add coolant conditioner

Replace transmission fluid

Replace brake fluid

Vehicle inspection

Prices will vary depending upon dealerships. I know my 30k service is far less than $550 and I do a tad bit more than what I just listed. Keep in mind you are paying them to do this work. if you have the means to do the work yourself, then do it. Make sure you use the correct partsespecially the Subaru coolant and conditioner and save all receipts and document mileage and date. If you do not have the means(you work at a car dealership, so I shouldn't have to mention this..lol) expect to pay their price. if you disagree, shop around and compare the same services and pricing.

Hope this helps

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

SCAM,

I don't my own maintenance and keep a small note book of what and when I did it. My car never goes to the stealer unless it has to.

When I need warrenty work for the 1st and 2nd tranny rebuild they just photo copied my book to show I have been doing the needed oil, tranny oil, plugs at 60,000 miles, etc.

I even replaced the timing belt last Sept. Didn't feel like waiting until March and the weather being to cold to do the job at 105,000 mile. Car now has 102,000+ miles.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

When I had my 30k done a couple months ago, I removed all the inspection stuff, which probably totaled over an hour worth of labor all together.

I do most of my own maintenance, so I check everything anyway, no need to waste time checking things I check myself.

I brought in the suggested 30k program as shown on the my.subaru.com website, which they do follow, highlighted what I wanted done, and that was that.

It's pretty much what blackfang has listed, but I left out air filter replacement (K&N panel in there) and rotate tires (I prefer do this on my own).

Your prices may vary by dealership, but that only cost me a little under $300.

thanks for the info gents. i ASSUMED that i had the extended super duper warranty service program. but as i found out, THAT was for the original owneer and did not transfer over to me, the sexond owner. i was just peeved beacuse i got up really early to get tehre, and had this quote from the online dealership maitanace set up screen. i just dont wanna pay 600 bucks for an oil and filter chnage when i can, and do , sdo these things on my own. now, whenit comes to replacing plugs, wires etc, ill let the pros do it, hell, i might even try my hands at replaceing the brakes, pads, adn rotors, (and fluid). but again, i ASSUMED that if this were all to eb done for free by the dealer, WHY IN THE HELL WOULD I NOT TAKE THEM UP ON THIS?! if the dealer were TO DO all the above mentioned , then id probably be fine with dropping six bills. but again, no way will i drop six bills to have the oil and filter changed, and the otehr itmes JUST CHECKED!!!!

BTW, when i wrote the original post, i had a few "cool off" after work libations and got interrupted many times before i completed the post. sorry for the seemingly random rants throughout! but again, thanks fort the advice and info!

NEVER TAKE YOUR CAR TO PERFORMANCE SUBARU, EVER, They improperly performed the cooling fan relay recall and i had to have the motor rebuilt. They also dripped concrete on the hood, wtf?, then scratched it off when i complained. Send me a PM and i'll give you the full story if you want to know.

Archived