LegacyGT.com

Transmission whine in 5th gear

nasiocks

For the last couple of weeks I started noticing a whining noise from the transmission. I only notice it when pushing the shifter to the right as if I was going into 5th. And of course it does it when I have it in 5th. I don't seem to notice it right away. Or at least it's more noticeable when the car has warmed up.

05 LGT just accessport stage 1. I have had a Kartboy short throw shifter and front shifter bushings for a couple of years now so it's not from those.

54k on the clock, and I had the trans and diff service done by the dealer around 35k. And I never launch my car.

Bad syncro(s)?

oh, another rochester person on here? i had something like this this spring/summer. is the noise ONLY while you're engaged in 5th? or does it happen when you cruise on the highway in neutral? it turned out to be a bad rear-transfer case bearing or something like that and they had to remove the transmission to fix it.

It only does it when it's in 5th gear or if I push the stick to the right as if I was going to go into 5th. It doesn't have to be engaged in 5th to make the noise.

Even when I'm stopped and I push the stick to the right I can hear it a little bit.

Have the dealer look at it. You have until 60,000 miles then it's on you.

May be get a second opinion from a local tranny shop.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived