LegacyGT.com

So, I like to switch cars a lot. My wife is at her wits end.

Anybody like me?

Five years ago, I owned a 1997 Mustang V6. Fun car, but was getting some miles racked up on it, and it sucked in the winter as a daily driver.

So, I bought a Ford Ranger. Great truck, but the MPG's were horrendous... I averaged around 12mpg around town.

I decided to go the fuel efficient route, so I bought a Mazda3.

Now I'm nitpicking everything about the Mazda. The heater, the A/C, the carpet...

Now, if everything goes as planned, I'll be the owner of an 08/09 Legacy 2.5i after this weekend. (not concerned about turbo, etc.)

Seemingly, the Legacy has everything that all of my other vehicles came short on.

It's fun to drive = Mustang

Decent gas mileage = Mazda3

Good in snow/rain = Ranger

My question is, is anyone here so incredibly anal like me?

The Legacies I've driven so far, I've liked.

I can't possibly foresee myself wanting to get a new car in a couple of years, because I am in love with the Legacy after months of research and test drives.

My wife is at her end with me, and is :spin:.

She basically sat me down yesterday, and told me that she wanted a "no new car contract" if we end up getting the Subaru.

I do agree with her, I want to find "that" car that I will keep for 10+ years.

Anybody ever been in my boat?

ugh...

I know what you mean. I've owned about as many cars in the last 5 years. I used to have a 95 Chrysler Cirrus with a lowered suspension. Fun & practical, but it was getting old. I traded it in for a 02 WRX Wagon. I loved the go-cart feel, but the inside was kind of small if the family was riding in it for 10 min or more. That's why I opted for the car I own now.

Maybe you can negotiate for a 5 year deal

all jokes aside the cars you picked were all kind of awful cept for the mazda3.

is the 2.5i any better? ehh.

drive the turbo. i plan on keeping this car for awhile and my previous cars were better than yours.

car for sale. PM me!

I might give the turbo a spin. (heh)

The thing is, I always get ideas in my head about what I "need". I thought I needed a truck. Well.. we never really used it for anything "truck-ish".

The Mustang was a purchase that I actually owned for about 4 years. I had a piece of crap '88 Celica on it's last leg with over 250k on the odometer. A dealer had the 'stang, and I basically wasn't going to be able to drive my Celica out of there. It was really an odd situation now that I think back on it.

I went through 6 cars in 5 years until I found my 06 Civic SI, which will be 3 years this valentine's day since I owned it. And I've been ready to move on from this car for awhile, but it's a great car.

You aren't switching cars because you haven't found the right one, you are switching cars because the grass is always greener on the other side. Here's what I'd recommend:

1. Change your ways and realize a car is transportation and doesn't need to be perfect (I can't do that, personally)

2. Agree with YOURSELF (not your wife, you have to believe this yourself or you'll resent her) that you'll pick a car that will be final for at least X number of years/miles.

3. Or start buying very pre-owned, tinkering, and switching without any real loss of money from depreciation. There are always some incredible cars below $5k, that will still be worth ~$5k when you are done with them. 1989 BMW 325is 5-speeds come to mind, but there are many others.

4. Or buy a cheap beater car that serves as your "I'm not selling this one" car and then agree to set aside either $5000 or a few hundred dollars a month into a personal car-toy account for you...you aren't allowed to exceed that budget, but you can do whatever the hell you want with it too.

My problem was that I went from a 1988 thunderbird turbo coupe to a 1997 jeep wrangler 4.0 sahara 5 speed, to a 1994 eagle talon 5-speed, to a 1995 volvo 850 turbo, to a 2005 Saab 9-2x (bought for an awesome price) to a 2006 Civic SI (bought for THE price they were selling for).....

There was no consistency, no rhyme or reason. That's what kills wives' patience.....so you need to setup what you need.

Personally, I plan on getting a few things out of the way first (trip to Italy, suitable garages instead of a garage-less townhome, and a 6-month supply of income in a liquid investment)....then I intend to tell my wife I'm setting up an account with $3000 to start and putting $300 a month in it for car-related purposes....but that has to include all maintenance, transaction fees, or monthly payments. And my only assets on-hand will be existing cars.

I figure I can eek out at least an e39 540i 6-speed to start and go from there :)

Joe

Nalow - not sure if you'd be interested, but a ~2001-2002 BMW e39 530i 5-speed, or a 2002-2003 BMW e46 330i w/ sport package are both incredible cars that should suit most of your needs.....just get a set of snows.

They are both in the low-to-mid teens for price right now, and maintenance is not bad as long as you can do basic stuff yourself and take the rest to a good indy mechanic.

Joe

Once you've tried the GT, you will be ruined!!! You will nevar want the 2.5i again. The good thing is if you get the GT, you will want to keep it for a while. Your right foot and silly grin will dictate 'the decent gas mileage'. YMMV. :)

I have enough drama for now.....

Never driven, nor known anyone with a BMW before.

I'll have to see what is around this area, it could be worth a test drive at least.

I don't mind doing some garage work by myself, I've done enough to my beater cars when I was in high school/college to know how to do most basic things.

And I'm definitely not holding anything against my wife. I actually agree with her, but I think I have some sort of obsessive compulsive disorder.

But now that I think about it, it's probably due to me having high speed internet.

Guest JessterCPA
My boss is like you. Since I have been here (May 2008) he's has a Range Rover Supercharged, Bentley Flying Spur, BMW 650iC, MB SL600, Audi A8, and MB CL550.

I've had 21 cars since I started driving 22 years ago (I still own 3 currently). :lol:

that could mean many things.

could be that you have extreme automotive ADD

OR

you are really bad at driving. :lol:

car for sale. PM me!

Guest JessterCPA
A friend of mine has a 2001 525i, it is a nice car. He tends to take care of most of the maintenance himself, so its not that bad in that department.

:orly:

:confused:

Archived