LegacyGT.com

Frameless glass: Why?

Yesterday, I sat in a black 2.5i. As I opened the door, I noticed, as on other Subaru models, the frameless glass. I wonder why Subaru continues with that design element. I can understand frameless glass in a coupe, but in a four door? I see downsides to frameless glass: the car is easier to break into, there is added risk of wind noise and it is easier for the driver/passenger to spear himself on the corner of the glass when entering the car... On the other hand, I think I have seen somewhere that Subaru claims safety benefits for the frameless sideglass. Maybe someone could explain these benefits, as they are not obvious to me. Thanks.

It's also a weight savings additional to structural where they can make the single member above and around the windows more secure and sound. BMW and others have really done well with the same deal, except the window automatically goes up and down just a hair and locks the window under a lip IIRC so the wind/breakin things are negligible. Probably a cost thing for Subaru.

Assuming you want to minimize the size of the pillars for visablity, and maximize the stiffness of the chassis for crashworthiness, then the framelss design is the way to go. Given the same size pillars, a framed window design will have less structure in the body. The RX-8 design is interesting in that the B Pillar is part of the rear Doorlet, and it actually interolocks with the body when you close it. Regarding Security, it seems to me that if they want to get into your car, they can, frame or not. It still freaks me out though, evertime I open my Forester's Doors with the windows down, and theres nothing to grab on to.

Nice info, guys. Thanks As for the visibility, I can certainly vouch for it. When I sat in that 2.5i, I was really impressed by the visibility. Pillars are thin and the beltline is low, for a commanding view of the road. I have the impression that contrary to Honda and Toyota, who have steadily been raising the beltline over the last model changes, Subaru is not going with the "kid-sitting-in-the-bathub" feel. Of course, one can always raise the seat, but if the roof is low, there is a limit to that, especially with a sunroof. Extreme cases of high beltline and relatively low roof are the new Chrysler 300, Infiniti G35 Coupe or Hyundai Tiburon. In these cars, I can't get rid of a claustrophobic feeling and I have the impression that I can't see enough around me.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Happened to me once- applied some dressing and it never happened again. Now the gas tank freezing shut is another issue altogether...

A sales man told me originally, that is' for kid safety. He then proceeded to demonstrate by putting his hand between the window and door and slammed the door shut. It seems reasonable that this is the reason.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Woulda been funny if there was a sharp edge on the glass and it cut his fingers off. :lol:

[quote name='jedimaster']Happened to me once- applied some dressing and it never happened again. Now the gas tank freezing shut is another issue altogether...[/quote] We don't have winters where I live, so meh. :lol: I agree panos, they are sexy. They remind me of Lexus and BMW windows...

The down side is when you get used to frameless windows, you can almost knock your head off when driving a normal car. Once, with the windows down in a rental, I pulled in to a parking spot and hopped out of the car. I was standing too close to the door, as you can do with your Subaru with the windows down. But with an Olds Alero...not quite. :lol: Kevin

[quote name='BernardP']Nice info, guys. Thanks As for the visibility, I can certainly vouch for it. When I sat in that 2.5i, I was really impressed by the visibility. Pillars are thin and the beltline is low, for a commanding view of the road. I have the impression that contrary to Honda and Toyota, who have steadily been raising the beltline over the last model changes, Subaru is not going with the "kid-sitting-in-the-bathub" feel. Of course, one can always raise the seat, but if the roof is low, there is a limit to that, especially with a sunroof. Extreme cases of high beltline and relatively low roof are the new Chrysler 300, Infiniti G35 Coupe or Hyundai Tiburon. In these cars, I can't get rid of a claustrophobic feeling and I have the impression that I can't see enough around me.[/quote] One word for the reason of rising beltline on a lot of cars is SUV.

***One word for the reason of rising beltline on a lot of cars is SUV*** A couple of years ago, I saw such a reason mentionned in a Car and Driver article. It seems car manufacturers have conducted psychological studies that reveal that people, especially women, feel safer when they feel a solid wall, instead of a glass, separating them from the outside of the car. That is why beltlines have been rising: the solid wall protection goes higher in relation to the driver's line of vision. And while we are on the subject of psychological studies, am I the only one who is tired of the ubiquitous "smiling grille" front end motif :) on so many cars, especially most japanese cars? I would not be surprised if this was also the result of psychological studies: A smiling car looks friendlier. That is one reason that draws me to Subaru. The standard Subaru front end is a frown :x not a smile, and thus looks more agressive. The new Legacy grille is neutral :| neither a smile nor a frown, and is different from the grinning Acuras, Mazda, Toyotas and Hondas.

At least the leg looks a little meaner than our friendly bug-eyes. ;) I have been drawn to the windowless style as it just works for me, but most people I know are like what the heck, I can't lean on them. :lol: Too bad, don't lean on my car then. :D

if you want a car that smiles, get a neon...."HI"!!! hahaa.. i wonder what my volvo s80 would look like, it doesnt smile nor agressive, it kinda looks like it has a front buck tooth. I agree w/ the higher beltline concept. it does provide a secure wrap around feel, which i kind of like. about the frameless windows, i was reading a benz brochure a few years back when they talked about a frameless AND B pillarless window for their new CL class(the 100k+ coupe)...the lack of a frame creates a smoother flow(less resistance) and therefore a more quiet cabin. so i read the gapping of the frame causes obstruction. also, i noticed if one were to stand outside(side view) of the leg vs a framed window car, the relationship between the front and rear windows SHOULD flow better as if it were one giant piece of glass, instead of 2 seperate pieces on a framed window car. anyone get my "vision"

[quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='SUBE555']At least the leg looks a little meaner than our friendly bug-eyes. ;)[/quote] I actually find the buggyes to me more aggressive than the new "crosseyed" Impreza front end. Bugeyes represent! :D[/quote] Only bugeyes with JDMs or EDMs. Otherwise I think the new ones are more aggressive, personally. :D Yeah it will take me some getting used to the frameless windows..

Archived