LegacyGT.com

Opensource VS AP

Verwilderd

Sounds like you should get a nissan gtr :).

GTR is gonna cost me over $100,000 CAD with taxes.

The $80,000 for the STI includes stuff like rust protection, stereo, winter rims and tires, everything.

I also need a 4 door car.

The only other cars that come close to being able to meet what I want are a 335xi + big mod budget or an EVO X.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now I have a question to add to the thread...

What does it take to tune with AP? Can any person (assuming they know what they're doing) go in and adjust the ots maps that the AP has, or does it take someone special to do so? I ask, because this might a reason why a person would choose OS over the AP. From what I kind of gather, most people who want a DIY tune go with OS. Does that mean you can't do it with the AP, or do people only go with OS because they don't have to spend $700 on the AP.

I am wondering, because the ots maps that the AP has might be good for someone brand new to tuning, but then later on as they learn more about it, they could then tune from that.

Just curious if that could be an option someone does as well.

Cobb made RaceTUNER so individuals could tune their own cars. It's free.

So if a Cobb protuner locks a map, does that mean that another Cobb protuner also would not be to access it? That is, if say, you had a custom tune and then moved and wanted to go to another Cobb protuner, would they be able to work off that custom locked tune - load it, modify it?

It means another tuner could not view/edit the first tuner's file. This shouldn't ever be an issue. If I'm tuning someone's car I'm starting with my map anyways, not someone else's.

You can remove a ProTUNER map any time and replace it with whatever map you want. It's not locked. They just made it so people can't steal other people's tunes.

This also does not keep people from logging.

There's more to a tune than you think if you feel tuner's have no good info to protect. ;) Luckily some of that stuff can't be seen when logging a car.

As an aside...ProTUNER has support for speed density tuning of 08 STIs now and the LGTs will be following in the next few weeks.

There's more to a tune than you think if you feel tuner's have no good info to protect. ;) Luckily some of that stuff can't be seen when logging a car.

Never said they didn't - in fact, I stated as much in my post. I think there are more than several reasons that the "lock" is beneficial to the pro-tuner, as I outlined before. The downside for the customer, is that they are essentially locked-in to that particular tuner. They will spend $500+ on a Cobb locked protune and then if they need (or want) to go to another tuner for tweaks to the map due to additional mods or to fix an issue, they'll have to lay down another $500+, no matter how minor the changes may . It would be as if the original $500 was a complete waste of money.

As an aside...ProTUNER has support for speed density tuning of 08 STIs now and the LGTs will be following in the next few weeks.

Hey Mike!

OT, but this line made me think (always a dangerous thing) - while I haven't done anything new to my LGT since you handled it last year, have there been any new updates that you would recommend I bring my car to you for a quick tweak? I know my baby was the first 08 you got to tune after Cobb released the APs for 07/08s and you might have come across something since that ought to be included in my tune...

Cheers!

and +1 to Innovative!

Never said they didn't - in fact, I stated as much in my post. I think there are more than several reasons that the "lock" is beneficial to the pro-tuner, as I outlined before. The downside for the customer, is that they are essentially locked-in to that particular tuner. They will spend $500+ on a Cobb locked protune and then if they need (or want) to go to another tuner for tweaks to the map due to additional mods or to fix an issue, they'll have to lay down another $500+, no matter how minor the changes may . It would be as if the original $500 was a complete waste of money.

I hear you, but I've absolutely never been in a situation where someone else's tune really only needed a minor tweak. Ever...

I've tried to do what you're describing in the past and end up spending more time trying to fix their map rather than just replacing it with a map of mine and tuning from there. There are a lot of tables and checking them is a waste of time when you can just start with something you know is good. For example, my temperature related corrections are all set up on my custom base maps and they don't need tweaked on each car as long as I already have a map for that year/model/mod combo. When you tune thousands of cars you end up with base maps that are honed in pretty thoroughly for each setup.

Also, from what I've seen over the years, I wouldn't trust another tuner's map and just do a minor tweak on it. What if something happens to your car? I'm the last one to tune it and I'd feel terrible that I didn't just start with one of my maps, tune from there, and avoid the problem, even if that's what you wanted.

When someone comes to me and says they want their car tuned...I tune the car. Then I know it's done right when it leaves. :)

Hey Mike!

OT, but this line made me think (always a dangerous thing) - while I haven't done anything new to my LGT since you handled it last year, have there been any new updates that you would recommend I bring my car to you for a quick tweak? I know my baby was the first 08 you got to tune after Cobb released the APs for 07/08s and you might have come across something since that ought to be included in my tune...

Cheers!

and +1 to Innovative!

Unless you want to change parts, or if the car is doing something you're not happy with, you're good to go. Yours was the first of that year/model that I tuned, but that just means I spent more time tuning it. Now I use a dumbed down version of your map as the starting point when I tune a stage 2 08 LGT and tune it back up from there. :)

Subscribed to read this after work. I have an AP and want to open source tune. This thread is FTW!

Are you self tuning or having someone tune your car? If you're self tuning you might as well self tune with accesstuner race for free and see if you like it. Then if you don't, try open source and if you like that more, sell the AP.

I hear you, but I've absolutely never been in a situation where someone else's tune really only needed a minor tweak. Ever...

I've tried to do what you're describing in the past and end up spending more time trying to fix their map rather than just replacing it with a map of mine and tuning from there.

Well, maybe you are just the best tuner in your area. ;) I understand where you are coming from. If I was a professional tuner, i would probably do the same thing, especially having seen some of the so-called "professional" tunes where it was obvious they didn't have a clue what they were doing.

Are you self tuning or having someone tune your car? If you're self tuning you might as well self tune with accesstuner race for free and see if you like it. Then if you don't, try open source and if you like that more, sell the AP.

I'm a complete newb when it comes to tuning. My end goal is to be able to tune the car myself, and from what I've read, through open source beacuase real time isn't a requirement.

That being said, I'd like to consider all of my options now that I already have an AP. What is accesstunner, a program loaded on the AP to tune the car? I can always search, but since you mentioned it...where can I get it? Too bad you're out in NY..

TIA

Wow, I have LOTS of reading material, that's for sure. Thanks for the help.

Anyone that's interested in learning about AccessTuner...

http://www.cobbforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31091

and

http://www.cobbforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41518

Next stop reading and my first log (obviously no adjustments).

Thanks.

Archived