LegacyGT.com

Damn dealership!

Woodstock

Long story short, I traded my car 08 subaru legacy 2.5i limited 2 monts ago. The dealership that I traded-in my previous car is in VA, I live in MD, now they want a duplicate title of the car that is in their lot right now or who knows where it is. They want me to pay $20 out of my pocket for a duplicate title and mail it to them.

I did not recieve the title for the previous car neither the paid in full confimation for the previous car. The person that I spoke too at the dealership said that its my resposibility that I pay the fee for the duplicate title. I'm not paying for anything. I don't have the car, its theirs now. why would it be my resposibility to get the title for them?

I don't have time to go to MVA to get it for them, and they are giving me attitude like its my job to get it for them!!:mad: She said I would need to speak to their manager and then she hangs up:rolleyes:

:confused: did you double post this?

oopss:lol:

You didnt have the original title for your old car? Dont you need the title in order to register it in MD.

I did not get anything for the previous car. The car was traded in VA dealership. The car is not paid off yet when I traded it in.

• 2 weeks later...
Long story short, I traded my car 08 subaru legacy 2.5i limited 2 monts ago. The dealership that I traded-in my previous car is in VA, I live in MD, now they want a duplicate title of the car that is in their lot right now or who knows where it is. They want me to pay $20 out of my pocket for a duplicate title and mail it to them.

I did not recieve the title for the previous car neither the paid in full confimation for the previous car. The person that I spoke too at the dealership said that its my resposibility that I pay the fee for the duplicate title. I'm not paying for anything. I don't have the car, its theirs now. why would it be my resposibility to get the title for them?

I don't have time to go to MVA to get it for them, and they are giving me attitude like its my job to get it for them!!:mad: She said I would need to speak to their manager and then she hangs up:rolleyes:

In what state did you live when you regstered the 2.5i? What state has the current title?

I had a similar issue in 2005 when I traded in my Silverado. I financed it through GM to get the rebates, then immedately refinanced it through my credit union. Before the VA DMV had sent the title (takes 6-10 weeks), I traded it in. I told the dealership about this at the time of the trade-in, and they made no big deal of it, but 2-3x a week, I was getting calls from the dealership demanding the title, which was in the hands of the VA DMV.

They called and harassed the credit union, who was the recorded leinholder, but after a while I frinally went to the dealership and explained that if they had a problem with how long it took to process the title, they needed to take that up with the VA DMV. It turs out that they could do all of the paperwork to get the title to the vehicle, since they had a record of the lein release from the previous leinholder and my release of ownership. Thye just would have had to send a representative to the DMV to present the documents in person. Instead, they harassed me for about 6 weeks to avoid having to drive the 3/4 mile to go to a DMV location.

At any rate we need more info to advise you.

In what state did you live when you regstered the 2.5i? What state has the current title?

I had a similar issue in 2005 when I traded in my Silverado. I financed it through GM to get the rebates, then immedately refinanced it through my credit union. Before the VA DMV had sent the title (takes 6-10 weeks), I traded it in. I told the dealership about this at the time of the trade-in, and they made no big deal of it, but 2-3x a week, I was getting calls from the dealership demanding the title, which was in the hands of the VA DMV.

They called and harassed the credit union, who was the recorded leinholder, but after a while I frinally went to the dealership and explained that if they had a problem with how long it took to process the title, they needed to take that up with the VA DMV. It turs out that they could do all of the paperwork to get the title to the vehicle, since they had a record of the lein release from the previous leinholder and my release of ownership. Thye just would have had to send a representative to the DMV to present the documents in person. Instead, they harassed me for about 6 weeks to avoid having to drive the 3/4 mile to go to a DMV location.

At any rate we need more info to advise you.

well, they called again today. asking about the title:rolleyes:

The old car is registered to MD MVA and the new car I bought was in VA.

Anyway, The bank that financed the old car and the new car is the same bank. When I traded in the car it is not paid off; therefore, the dealership, dulles subaru paid it off.

They said that I need to go and get the title for the old car. I told them that I did not receive any title when I bought the old car, and I didn't get anything when they paid it off.

I talked to their sales manager today, he said that they have a contract with my signature that states that I need to provided them the title . I ask if he could fax it to me, he said he cannot do that..:spin: Then he started reading stuff to me about the contract that I signed. I ask again If he could fax me a copy of that, he refused.

I told them that I will get the title replacement for them if they give me $20 for the fee of replacing it. After harrasing me for 5 mins on the phone about the title, He turned my statement, saying that I am refusing to hand in the title. I repeatedly told him that I DID NOT GET A TITLE OF ANY SORT FROM THE OLD CAR. GIVE ME $20 AND YOU WILL GET THE TITLE as simple as that.

They paid it off they should receive the title right? He even threathened me that he will take some legal action.

If you had an outstanding loan for the old car, the bank has the title as the lienholder. They (dealership) were supposed to give you paperwork that gave them permission to the title through their financing department (which you should have signed). Have you contacted your bank to see what else they can do to help? Also, contact the finance dept of the dealership to see what exactly happenned (not the sale manager). They may have the paperwork. In any case, something sounds extremely fishy about this situation.

I haven't called the bank. They (dealership) said that they have 2nd half of the title, (2nd half??) and asked me to give them the title that I have, which I don't have.

In the end of our conversation, He agreed to pay the replacement fee, and said that he will pay me back the $20 fee once he received the title with the receipt. I asked him to write it down on a piece of paper which states that he will refund the fee for the title replacement, and fax it over to me so that I have a written proof. ;)

I haven't receive any fax yet. Its been 4 hours and still no fax from them.

Should I call them back?

Request that he communicate to you in writing going forward, or if he's ok being recorded. And do it regardless.

This really shouldn't be that big of a deal. Something similar happened to me with my former car's title in my many moves back and forth across the river. It was an Audi lease with a balloon pmnt at the end (that I opted out of). Just takes a visit to the DMV and the dealer is being cheap/lazy.

I found this:

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/E-Title.pdf

A vehicle has been traded to a dealership, and the dealer has paid off the electronic lien.

Will DMV mail the lien satisfaction letter to the customer who traded the vehicle?

In the case where a title is electronic because the lien is with an ELT participant, the dealer

would pay off the lien and request that the dealership’s address be shown as the mail-to address.

The letter would then be mailed to the address provided by the dealer to the lienholder at the time

the lien was satisfied. The letter would only be mailed to the customer if the dealer did not

provide a mail-to address.

Personally, I would call their bluff and tell them to resort to legal representation.

**** them! You bought a car, they paid your old loan off, they get the title from the bank, not you. They can kiss your ass and tell them that you are never recommending them to anyone nor buying another car from them being they can't seem to unfuck this mistake.

I will ask my finance and my Sales managers tomorrow on their take and I may just call Dulles Subaru and say, on behalf of Woodstock, FU!

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Archived