LegacyGT.com

Subwoofer installation?

Code 3 GT

I searched but couldn't find anything, plus I am new, so sorry if I missed it on the search. But anyways, I am looking for a step by step installation plan for Intalling a aftermarket Subwoofer in the trunk of the Legacy. I have a 12'' Sony Woofer, that I had in my old OBS, and I would like to try to get it in my Legacy. Has anyone done this, or can it be done, using the stock radio?

You'll need a line-out converter. There are a few people who've done installs, but I believe all used LOC's and/or professionally installed them. Search line-out converters on this site and you might be able to find some results.
-ben

I got one from Radio Shack for probably $20 and it seemed OK but I was very careful to ground everything in the audio system to a single point, put in a couple big capacitors between the battery and the power distribution block for the audio system, got the "special" spark plugs, resistor-type? can't remember the name any more, that are supposed to cut down on nose.etc etc so I had no ground loops, no alternator whine, nothing. However, you're probably better off buying a better one than cheaping out like I did.

What kind of amp do you have? Some have the necessary adaptor built in. FWIW, don't go cheap on the LOC - it does make a difference re: noise and ground loops.

I have a Sony Xplod 760 watt 2channel amp, In my old OBS I had it powering a 900watt 12" Sony Xplod Sub.

LOL...we used to call that 750W figure an 'ILS' rating. "If Lightning Strikes"

I looked up specs.....found Sony's Japanese page (translated):

"Even in the genuine car audio which does not have line output the connected possible high level input terminal. "

Huh?

Translation of the translation? You have a LOC built-in, which is what I suspected. Check out this picture if you need confirmation. It is about as good as a $20-30 model you would pick up at the Rat Shack or Best Buy. There are better ones out there from Soundgate, etc....but they would run $50-100 for a two channel. For a sub amp, you should be fine using the onboard hi-level inputs (speaker level off the stock radio).

Good luck!

-Dan

DUDE!!! YOU ARE AWESOME!!!! Thank you. And I am an idiot, I looked at the back of my amp and saw that, but just didn't read it. So I can plug in RCA cables to the back of the stock radio and then pull them back to the trunk? Just to confirm. You are an incredible person, I'm actually stoked now cuz of the info you gave me, Thank you Thank you!!! :D

WHOA NELLY!!!! Let's do a Car Audio 101 lesson:

Hi-Level = Speaker level input

Low-Level = RCA cable input

The stock radio has no RCA output. To use the hi-level input, you need to tap into the speaker level output of the stock radio harness and run two pairs of speaker wire back to the hi-level input of the amplifier. I am not sure on the sedan, but if the rear speakers are mounted in the rear deck vs. the doors you can cheat and tap in here (though the sub-bass will go away if you fade to the front). If all speakers are in the doors, you must do this behind the radio on the harness.

Unless you can find a schematic for the PIN assignments (check the sticky for iPod connection), this will be an involved install. Plus, if you are not handy with a soldering iron or t-splices, you really should leave this install to the local shop where you bought the amp (Best Buy?). Install should be less than $100 with the necessary amp wiring kit (power, ground and fuse holder).

Good luck! I am happy to help out. Feel free to PM me if you need more info.

-Dan

hahah u got really really excited there as did i....

i think im gona go stop by tweeter ect today for some answeres on what would be the best set up for me... than ill go out and buy the stuff from a cheaper place and ahve someone help mewith the install lol

Subaru adds a subwoofer as an add on feature to the car. That would imply to me that there is probably already, at a minimum, speaker level outputs run as part of the stock wiring, terminating someplace that they install these in the cars (probably different for sedan vs wagon). I've seen this mentioned in other threads but can't recall where.

Can anybody state where the power from the OEM sub comes from or is it not powered at all, just driven by the speaker level outputs.

Thanks,

BigRob.

hahah u got really really excited there as did i....

i think im gona go stop by tweeter ect today for some answeres on what would be the best set up for me... than ill go out and buy the stuff from a cheaper place and ahve someone help mewith the install lol

Don't steal advice. That's lower than low man. :( If you need help, PM me...I am more than happy to give you some ideas. I used to do that stuff for a living, at a place just like Tweeter.

-Dan

Subaru adds a subwoofer as an add on feature to the car. That would imply to me that there is probably already, at a minimum, speaker level outputs run as part of the stock wiring, terminating someplace that they install these in the cars (probably different for sedan vs wagon). I've seen this mentioned in other threads but can't recall where.

Can anybody state where the power from the OEM sub comes from or is it not powered at all, just driven by the speaker level outputs.

Thanks,

BigRob.

sub comes with a t-harness that plugs in behind the radio. You plug in there, than run it to the underseat location.

Archived