LegacyGT.com

Is a 2005 Outback turbo a good idea?

AndrewZ

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about picking up this car in a few days:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-|E-|M-_45_|B-16000|D-_2996_|N-N|R-30|I-1%2c7|P-PRICE+descending|Q-descending|Z-60047&aff=national&paId=296203682&recnum=3&leadExists=true

I've never driven a Subaru. I've been driving a decently modified Volvo for the past 5-6 years (ecu, forged internals, water injection, sway bars, struts & springs, etc) and she's finally kicked the bucket. I want something fun, useful, reliable, quick, all wheel drive and manual. That wagon is at the absolute limit of my pricerange and seems to fit the bill.

Are 05 Outback turbos reliable? And does this one look like the one to get? I think so and want a heads-up just incase. I know my way around a wrench (or a racecar), are there things I should look for on the car?

And FYI I'll probably keep that one virgin, except for maybe bushings etc. It looks like a gem to me in the pics, do you agree?:wub:

I'm not at all familiar with these cars so I'd really appreciate any advice and am getting excited. Also what type of fuel do these cars like?

Thanks,

Andrew

Update:

I've been looking around and there aren't any manual legacies in the area, unfortunately.

I see that the LGTs have bigger brakes. I'm having a hard time figuring out the differences between the LGT and OBXT ltd suspension.

I'm looking at this car on Saturday. Are there specific spots to look for things like oil leaks, worn intake hoses and the like?

Car itself looks nice. A couple things stood out to me. First, why does it have one mismatched tire? All of them were replaced (unless the OB came with different tires than the Legacy, IDK personally), but one is different than the other three. Cars.com page says ONE OWNER in the sellers notes, but carfax says two (though one may be the Illinois dealership since the titled the car, presumably to update from a New York title to a Ill. one) When it was sold at the New York auto auction it was listed as a Fleet Vehicle, though the lease was personal. Not sure if that's fishy. Like I said, just things I noticed, I'm by no means an expert, just abnormally paranoid. :rolleyes:

Upon further examination the right rear tire appears to be the odd-ball.

And some more info for thought

http://www.yelp.com/biz/muller-pontiac-gmc-mazda-highland-park

http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/Muller.Pontiac.GMC.Mazda.847-831-4100

http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/175/RipOff0175199.htm

Granted people with bad expiriences are more likely to review than good ones.

That's all I could find. Take it of leave it...;)

Hey FrozenNorth,

Thanks for looking and the feedback! Other than the tire (which I'll have to get a new set of) anything else with the car?

Also, good looking with the links. Unfortunately the car is where it is and there aren't any other turbo manual subaru wagons for sale on the net without modifications.

Anything I should look for on the car when I see it Saturday?

I bought it :D

This car's great fun to drive and, being the first Subaru I've ever been in newer than early 80's, I'm real happy about the ride and build quality.

It is of course (on paper) slower than and not as agile as my money-pit Volvo but I had so much fun driving it today I couldn't notice :D

^ he did say affordable...lol, depends on what that means...Nokians are excellent from what I hear, I love my Blizzak WS-60's, and a lot of people like the Hankook Ice Bears which are apparently pretty cheap and good for snow. Go to the wheel/tire section and there are TONS of threads about this.

Oh, and congrats on the purchase, have fun. :cool:

Archived