LegacyGT.com

subaru boxer V4

food for thought

from an engineering point of view, nothing can truly be 180 degrees. the cylinders are not perfectly 180 degrees apart but are more like 179.99999 degrees. as the limit of measurement approaches infinity, the angle does approach 180 degrees but never truly arrives at that point. thus i postulate that our engines are not truly horizontally opposed as stated in the car brochure and that we truly have v-engines. final fact, we have v-4 engines and are thus half of an american muscle v-8.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's not an engineering point of view.. that's more of a mathematical point of view.

From an engineering point of view, you round numbers as they are practical. Nothing's ever going to be precise to 15 decimal places, cause that precision isn't required for the specific application. You can't create significant figures if the components itself weren't designed to that specific tolerance.

food for thought

from an engineering point of view, nothing can truly be 180 degrees. the cylinders are not perfectly 180 degrees apart but are more like 179.99999 degrees. as the limit of measurement approaches infinity, the angle does approach 180 degrees but never truly arrives at that point. thus i postulate that our engines are not truly horizontally opposed as stated in the car brochure and that we truly have v-engines. final fact, we have v-4 engines and are thus half of an american muscle v-8.

Are you sure it isn't a 180.0000001° angle? Then we'd have a reverse v4 engine...

or what if one side was 179.999999° and the other side was 180.000001°. Then it would be a sideways boxer...

So many options! It's just crazy. My poor car is currently parked in a corner of the driveway having self-identity issues because you decided to do some math :( I need to go for a joy ride to cheer it up :rolleyes:

From a real engineer's point of view, you need to get a life and get laid.

If you really want to get technical, standard angular tolerance is ±30' in the manufacturing world. 95% of the cylinders will fall between 179°30' and 180°30'. So you really end up with a W-4 or a radial engine.

If you really didn't have a life, you would argue it is not a true Boxer engine since there would be no way to time a set of pistons to move in and out at the same time.

From a real engineer's point of view, you need to get a life and get laid.

If you really want to get technical, standard angular tolerance is ±30' in the manufacturing world. 95% of the cylinders will fall between 179°30' and 180°30'. So you really end up with a W-4 or a radial engine.

If you really didn't have a life, you would argue it is not a true Boxer engine since there would be no way to time a set of pistons to move in and out at the same time.

:lol: yeah, what he said.

Nothing's ever going to be precise to 15 decimal places, cause that precision isn't required for the specific application.

true, but according to sig figs, as all engineers would know, i say at least a 1/10 of a degree is sufficient and therefore it is very rare to have a measurement rounded off to 180 degrees.

also, to the person above, i agree, no one of our engines are the same and therefore our cars should be named legacy 2.5+/-2% GT.

second food for thought, although our engines can never be a true boxer, just remember an inline engine, like a certain MIVEC, can never be at 0 degrees and is thus too a v-4.

Archived