LegacyGT.com

Test of wide, narrow snow tires

Garandman

(Posted first to NASIOC)

Attached is a graphic of a Swedish car magazine snow tire test.

Notable in this test, they tested two Nokians of the same design: one of width 205, and one of width 225.

In most (but not all) the tests, the 205 had better performance. This is the firs real test data I've seen that shows objective proof of the benefit of narrower contact patches on snow and ice. Even though I knew this subjectively from the 155r15's on my 1969 SAAB 96! Hopefully we have a Svensk dude to translate some of the tests, which aren't too difficult to discern.

Large Image.

http://dervish.smugmug.com/photos/429443361_vBSJN-S.jpg

Who Dares Wins

スバル

My only experience with wideness is that my wife's old 96 Civic with 175/65/14's Nokian WR's felt as if not more stable in deeper/rutted snow than our 05 LGT with 215/45/17's WR G2's. Getting moving was another story (AWD killed that old Civic).

Makes sense since a narrower tire will cut through the snow better whereas a wider tire would "float" more.

Quite possibly, but there's obviously more to it than that. The first test looks to me like "acceleration on ice", and the 205 is quicker. That's not cutting through vs. floating on snow. HPH

Archived