LegacyGT.com

Squeaky Creaky Suspension: Cobb Sways and Links

DogLeggGT

So, for about 7k miles now, I've been driving around with a very squeaky creaky rear suspension. It sounds like it's coming from the corners, but I'm not sure. I have Cobb sways and endlinks. I just had the grease ports on the sway bars injected yesterday, and it didn't stop the squeaking, so it's not the sways. Today, I got under the car with a big tube of Lithium grease and slathered it on to all the dirty little bushings I could get my fingers on. Still, the squeaks persist. I greased the endlink bushings and the inner and outer bushings on the Y-link (sorry, don't know technical name). Because I'm pretty sure the creaks come from the right rear, I didn't do the left rear bushings, but I'm pretty darn sur it's coming from the right based on how things sound when the right rear goes over lumps and bumps in the road.

With my fingers, I can't really effectively get tons of grease right where I want to, but I did enough driving earlier this evening so the grease should have worked its way in the bushings.

Any suggestions about where else this creaking might be coming from? i know it's not coilovers, because I just replaces a set of Megans two days ago with a brand new set of Tein CS' (Thank friggin' god. Midwest highways are some of the crappiest I've ever driven).

Anyway, has anyone else had the creaks and figured out how to stop them? :spin:

Thanks!

I got a nasty clunk going on in my leggy too. I had the cobb sways with stock links and was good for the longest time. I went over some train tracks a few months ago (at least i think this is the cause) now I got clunks. I replaced the stock endlinks with cobb ones over the holiday. The frequency of the clunk is less, but now it is more pronounced. Maybe I will get to the bottom of this soon.

Thanks for the post. That's pretty interesting. Yours is a clunk and not a creak?

I got under m ycar again a couple days ago and from my untrained eye it looked like all the OEM bushings were in fine shape. I greased them all and drove about 150mi and it's possible that the creaking has abated a bit, but not a lot. My Cobb endlinks also seem to be in fine shape, but it was hard to get grease at thier bushings. I'll probably try to grease their bushings better and see how that goes.

From the post I saw about the trailing arm bushing, it sounds right on the mark. Next time I go for an oil change, I'll have a trained eye check those out.

I have the same creak. I have speed bumps all around my place, and so i can tell all the time. Going too quickly straight into a bump makes it happen LOUDLY on both sides of the front. Going over with one wheel (and around with the other) makes it MUCH louder on one side that the other, followed by the rebound with other and then the squish-squeak noise on the other side. It is painfully annoying.

Have you guys, with an air tool or some serious grunt, re-tightened your sway bar attachment points?

Mine LOOKED fine but had alot of looseness develop in the pass. front side. I could only actually tell though when the car was on a lift and the mechanic pulled down with about 50-100 pounds of weight.

Joe

the sway bar bushings that come with aftermarket bars are not always the best. for $20 you can get Energy suspension swaybar bushings that are alot better and they get rid of alot of slop. they come with thicker brackets and some have grease fittings too.

Don't know what caused the problem. I do know they have been squeaking a bit lately and was pissed I forgot to have them lubed when I had the oil changed.

I will say though that I did try lubing the bar on my own but never seemed to get enough grease in the bushing to stop the squeaking but the local tire shop had no problems....only problem is in the cold it only lasts about an oil change interval.

Nice. Thanks for that. I'll give that a go.

Have you guys, with an air tool or some serious grunt, re-tightened your sway bar attachment points?

Mine LOOKED fine but had alot of looseness develop in the pass. front side. I could only actually tell though when the car was on a lift and the mechanic pulled down with about 50-100 pounds of weight.

Joe

the sway bar bushings that come with aftermarket bars are not always the best. for $20 you can get Energy suspension swaybar bushings that are alot better and they get rid of alot of slop. they come with thicker brackets and some have grease fittings too.

hmmm, hard to believe that Cobb would include crap bushings with their gear. anyone know more about the quality of Cobb bushings???

were these aftermarket bars or OEM?

Don't know what caused the problem. I do know they have been squeaking a bit lately and was pissed I forgot to have them lubed when I had the oil changed.

I will say though that I did try lubing the bar on my own but never seemed to get enough grease in the bushing to stop the squeaking but the local tire shop had no problems....only problem is in the cold it only lasts about an oil change interval.

I have had Cobb sways for a couple of years. I started getting some squeaking in cold weather, but it was solved by lubricating the bushings (completely). You can't use a heavy grease with the grease fittings or it will not get completely distributed inside the bushing. I was doing some work under the car so I popped the bushings off, cleaned the surface areas, then lubed by hand. Silence. A thinner grease should work with the fitting also.

Cobb bushings are upgraded and do include a grease fitting, so you should not need to change that.

Archived