LegacyGT.com

New LGT, Odd Steering Question

Hey Guys, I just bought an 07 LGT 5mt! I've been driving it around for a few days, and one thing in particular bothers me. The steering feels abnormally heavy to me. Now it could be that I have become used to my civic's feather steering, but remember I had an STI less than 6 months ago and a WRX before that. Usually I can one hand steer through parking lots using my palm, but if I tried that in the LGT my arm might break. Has anyone else noticed this or is there something wrong with my car? Fluid level is ok.

Am I just being a little sissy?

Help!

No accidents, I trust the guy I bought it from. One owner. If the alignment was out, I suspect that the car would pull on the freeway, or the wheel would shake? It is dead solid at freeway speeds.

I also notice that the further from center I turn the wheel, the easier the power steering gets. Right before I reach full lock it is noticeably easier to turn.

The steering is definitely different than a WRX/STI, I went through the same "wtf" phase for the first couple of weeks when I switched...Legacy steering is heavier for sure and just takes some getting used to.

yup.

now it feels normal.

i prefer a wheel with some weight. my old mazda felt darty compared to the gt while doing 100. the steering wheel still has plenty of feedback.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey Guys, I am getting more used to the steering feel, but it still feels like I am driving around a tank. I am wondering if my PS pump is off a little. Can you guys hear the PS pump whine from inside the car while you turn at very low speeds or at a stop?

Any suspension mods ( to increase caster)?

Too much toe-in?

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

^^nope, stock. I am going to investigate this more seriously. Can anybody else confirm that turning the wheel even a little bit produces no PS whine? If I go full lock the sound does get louder (it actually has a slight change in feel, slightly notchy at the end). I am going to try putting some PS fluid in which is slightly less viscous than ATF fluid.

The steering is definitely different than a WRX/STI, I went through the same "wtf" phase for the first couple of weeks when I switched...Legacy steering is heavier for sure and just takes some getting used to.

Yea, used to because it's so light.

To the OP: I would have it checked out. The steering in the Legacy is actually pretty light/easy. Personally I think it's way too light. My PS pump makes absolutely no noise, ever.

FYI, I replaced the ATF fluid with PS fluid and added a half bottle of Redline PS Conditioner/Stop Leak and that reduced the steering effort by about 30%! My pump still makes some noise, but at least the car feels much more agile and fun to drive.

Check your power steering fluid levels. I remember hearing some strange groaning noises when I moved my steering wheel in enclosed areas like parking garages. After topping off my fluid, I no longer had any issues. You might be running a bit low. And yes, the steering in an LGT is much stiffer. Whenever I spend more than a day or two in a rental car the LGT's steering always feels much tighter.

Archived