LegacyGT.com

Script for tint?

fatbastard

The tint laws in NJ do not allow for you to have anything on your front windows. I will admit I got my car tinted partly for the look but also as a functional item since I get migraines and I am severely sensitive to light. I had hoped that the auto dimming mirror would do the trick but unlike my wife's A4 the side mirrors do not dim too. So I wanted these windows tinted so I don't have to wear sunglasses at night since I know I am really limiting my vision. I had heard of some people getting a script for this and recently it was pseudo confirmed when I was pulled over for tint. The officer was nice enough to let me off with a warning but suggested that I get a script and register it with DMV. Tonight I was at my ENT and he knew nothing about this but now he has me going to a neurologist. SO if anyone has gone through this and knows what I need to ask for please let me know....I might call DMV tomorrow but I figure I will get no where talking to them.

Our general doctor, ophthalmologist, and neurologist all said no to the letter in regards to the migraine factor. Legally, you might need to be an albino, or the family member of an albino (or other pigment related disorderes) to get a pass. Good luck.

trackhore is right. I asked my ophthalmologist and he said the same thing. He wouldn't even hook up his brother. Around here the cops keep track of who is writing scripts for tint. I know I wouldn't risk my job to keep a customer. Although it's illegal to have similar tint here, it's easier to just do it and risk the fix-it ticket. I've had tint since '98 and I've never been told to scrape it.

Dave

I think I will call DMV and see what they say and then bring that to the neurologist and I will let everyone know if I am successful. Just seems crazy that they would rather people drive at night with sunglasses than have tint on side windows....unless they are thinking people are going to put limo tint on???

I also agree on the fix it ticket being easier but this last time I got pulled over it wasn't for speeding and he was nice and gave me a warning for tint....he pulled me over for tint. That could start getting expensive since I have to go through this town on my way to work.

I got a verbal warning for having a CLEAR plastic license plate cover. The Cop said it was illegal to have even a clear cover over a plate. Yet he didn't say a single word about my tint.

Not only do I have tint but it is limo max tint...the front windows though are a lighter tint (probably illegal). Though since the front tint is so much lighter than the limo on rear windows...I so far have not received a ticket. The license plate covers seem to be big deal...tint laws seem to be very subjective to the particular cop that pulls you over.

I never heard about the migrane issue. Sounds like a great idea to try to get medical exemption!!! My eyes are blue and sensitive to bright light also. Though my "excuse" in waiting is that I have black leather seats and the tint helps protect the interior from solar damage...etc.

^ maybe because you have a wagon and its off the radar for cops. when i had my wrx wagon, it was limo dark all around. never ever did i get a tint ticket. i also tinted my dad's forester limo dark all around too and he's never been pulled over. however my legacy, i just got one like 3 weeks ago. it's only 35% too, its really light when its sunny out.

Archived