LegacyGT.com

Problem going into 4th when cold

GP2001

So the past 2 days it has been very cold here, in the morning when I leave when the car has been sitting all night and it is about 0* out, I have a little problem. When I am crusing in 5th gear, and down shift to 4th it doesn't want to go in. I have to push it to 4th, doesnt go, then push again and it goes in, or shift to 3rd then to 4th. Never have a problem shifting from 3rd to 4th, just from 5th to 4th. Once I do it about two times and the car has been driven for about 2 minutes it goes away completely and never happens again. Any ideas? Is this somewhat normal for a car that is so cold? Should I be thinking about possible throwout bearing problem? I just don't get why it would be only a 5 to 4 downshift issue if it is the throwout bearing..I also don't hear any noise at all that the throwout bearing usually makes. Does subaru cover this if your have under 60k miles? I only have 49k right now, if they do cover it, I really hope it goes before that 60k so I can have it taken care of for free.

Could just be the synchro's are having a hard time mating up with the stock fluid and cold temps. I am not sure if the Subie 5th gear is synchro'd or not, but that could be your issue if it isn't. I know that 5th gear in my T5 in my Mustang isn't synchro'd, so I have to be patient shifting from 4th to 5th and down shifting from 5th to 4th, because of this.

Try double-clutching the shift from 5th to 4th and see if that helps. If it does, you are having synchronization issues, which may or may not be due to wear. Easiest thing to do is throw in some synthetic tranny fluid and see if it improves the issues. Good luck.

Just for the record 5th gear does have a syncrho in the LGT.

Thanx, that is why I mentioned my ignorance on the subject. Based on that info, I would start with double-clutching it to test and then likely onto the synthetic fluid and move on from there.

Thanx, that is why I mentioned my ignorance on the subject. Based on that info, I would start with double-clutching it to test and then likely onto the synthetic fluid and move on from there.

Thanks, I was planning on changing my fluid to synthetic thinking that maybe the fluid in there isn't good enough with this cold weather. The car does have 49k on it as well and there were no service records in the car to show it had been changed, so its probably ready about now.

________

UPSKIRT TUBES

Good luck and let us know what you do and how it turned out.

Thanks, once I get another two paychecks and have some extra cash on the side I will go have the tranny flushed and report back. Although it hasn't done it since the first time, it hasn't been quite as cold.

________

TF109

Archived