LegacyGT.com

Typhoon intake swoosh

GTTuner

Ok guys, this is not going to eliminate the noise but it will keep 75% of the noise out of the car when your cruising with your windows up. I actually like hearing my turbo raging, doing the un-holy sounding things with intake air, when my windows are down. I have experimented with different types of sound deadening, this seems to work best.

Stuff needed; a roll of 2" thick fiberglass insulation, a wash mit, ( seriously :rolleyes: ), just as shown, with "memory" type foam inside, a sheet of composite or other type of sound block you can cut with scissors.

The idea is to stuff the upper load beam or fender apron passage and block off all passages that lead to the right side of the cowl....which is here the HVAC intake is.

Roll up the fiberglass insulation very tight, about 2" in diameter and stuff the gap under the right side cowl flap, stuff it tight. Roll up the cotton/foam mitt the same way, and stuff the load beam. It takes a bit of fiddling to get it in there, use a plastic trim stick and poke thru the holes to lead it thru. Cut a piece to cover the holes as shown.

This opening is the tough one. If you reach in from below, you will feel the opening between the inner fender liner and the fender. It leads directly to the plenum area, it needs to be stuffed or sealed off. The fiberglass will work but two more wash mits stuffed is quieter. My next expeirment is taking out the inner fender liner to see if any more areas sound can enter the cowl plenum exist, I know there is an area you cant reach from up top.

If you plan on using some type of foam, you need a "closed cell foam" or it won't stop sound well. Cut another piece and cover the remaining hole. If your running a Typhoon with the black heat shield in place you can make a lid over the top with sheet of sound deadening, the stuff I used was an ashphalt/fiber type of gasket material I bought at NAPA....they sell it in rolls, very flexable, paintable, and strong.

Seems ghetto but no one has ever noticed mine, and it works. Sorry I slacked on posting this up, I'm too lazy to type in my spare time.

^ +1 That is exactly it..partial throttle drives me nuts.

If you do this correctly you'll love your part throttle on the highway. I'm not sure if a stock VF40 whistles but if it does you'll hear that and less hissing/swoosh bullshit that make the car sound like a POS unless the windows are down.

It works pretty well. I have a 2.4 7cm 20g and a Synapase Synchronic EWG and it hits @20 psi around 3300 -3400 rpms and hold @ 20 psi all the way to 7000 rpms and it only varies about .25 psi all the way.

Very nice.

Next car ...... ;)

Archived