LegacyGT.com

Rear defroster is slowwwwwww!

SPR3472

Mine works like a dream, super quick, instant meltage action on the rear glass. I have a wagon, and live in Colorado....by the time I am out of my neighborhood, it is melted, about 4 blocks.

Are things different with sedans? Do you have a wagon or sedan? Maybe something to have the dealer look at.

I guess it is just me..but I have a sedan and I have never owned a car that takes this long to defrost or clear up a rear window. Here in Arlington it does not get real cold, but during our winters we have some cold days (usually into the 20 or teens). But it just seems to take a really long time to get going and for it to clear my window. I usually have a 15 minute drive home from work and it is not even clear until 10 minutes into my drive! Maybe I should get it checked.

My only complaint with the rear defroster is that the heating elements don't cover the whole swathe of the wiper. At the top of the windo where the radio antenna is, it doesn't melt. And you can hear the wiper scratch at the ice left there.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

• 6 months later...
+1 Mine is slow too, the tint shouldn't affect it that much should it? Its starting to get down into the 40's and 30's at night and it usually takes a while. My WRX wagon had tint and the rear defrost would clear it in a reasonable amount of time even at -10 with snow on the window. I think I'll be missing that rear wiper action this winter. JDM gets rear wiper and we don't! :mad: It would've been nice to have the option.

I thought mine was slow as well when I realized (after reading the manual) that the rear defroster relay isn't hooked up to the front windshield defroster but the sideview mirrors, instead. I'll have to try it next time we get frost (tomorrow, most likely).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived