LegacyGT.com

5EAT did somthing odd today

FrozenNorthLGT

Will it may have at least. What happened is this. Normally I do mainly city driving, and when I do get on the highway and up to cruising speed the car has warmed up. Well today I went out of town, and heading back I got on the highway less then 5 minutes after starting the car, so it wasnt very warmed up yet. I put the cruise on, at 60mph, and the RPM's settled at 2500 on the nose. Now hopefully others can verify this, but normally at 60mph with the cruise on, the car is at 2250 RPM (granted the tach might not be perfectally accurate but you get the idea.) After about 5 more minutes of cruising the tach dropped to the 2250 I would have expected it to be at. My first thought was simply that the car wasnt warmed up completely and the "high/cold idle" was still having an affect on engine speed. Then I wondered if it may have somthing to to with torque converter lock-up, since I really dont know how to tell when the converter is locked up or not (maybe someone can clear that up for me too.) Im also not even sure when the converter should be locked. Thanks in advance for any advice/peace of mind. :)

So it was probably just not up to temp and the converter didnt lock up. I would have thought that in OD it would have dropped more than 250 RPM, but then again transmissions are somthing I have not learned a lot about, and what I do know applies mostly to older 3 speed's with no lock up.

Same thing happens to me. Just posted a topic on this a week ago. It's weird that I've only noticed this 4.5 years later if it is normal behavior.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

Well if you live in the city like I do then it's less likely to have come up. I travel to the country often enough that I'm surprised that I didnt notice it in the last couple months of cold weather. Of course I have a remote starter, and usually let the car run for at least 5 or 6 minutes before I get in. Today the battery died in my remote, hence the odd set of circumstances.

Archived