LegacyGT.com

Oil leaking profusely from timing belt cover...

freekyFX4

I have a 98 Legacy GT wagon with the 2.5l DOHC engine. We bought it last week, and it didn't seem to have any major leaks. This morning I came out to find a huge puddle underneath the front of the car. Oil is running out of the bottom of the timing belt cover and oil seems to have sprayed all over the driver side suspension and tire. What am I looking at here? Blown oil seals? If so, how hard is this to fix? I have done a lot of my own repairs in the past, but now I tend to own newer vehicles that do not require much attention. Thanks for any information you guys can give me.

More than likely it is a crank seal or the oil pump itself. To get to them you'd have to remove the accessory belts, crank pulley, timing belt, oilpump.

While you are in there, replacing the timing belt, cam seals, crank seal, oilpump seal, check for wear on the TB tensioners and idlers, if they seem worn time to replace those as well.. All those seals tend to seep or leak at some point in time on these cars.

I suggest getting a service manual, this is something you can do yourself if you have worked on a car before.

That sounds like either a cam or crank seal or possibly a front piston pin plug which all are behind the front timing cover. Those are known to leak often as the engine gets older.

As for the fluid getting onto the wheel and suspension, that doesn't sound like it is just coming from that. I can see it getting on some of the suspension, but are you sure there isn't a busted outer axle boot as well?

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

I just had the same problem with my 94 ej20g powered legacy GT I had just put new seals in the engine when I put it in. just last week it starts smokin and stinkin then the next morning huge puddle under the engine and it was pissing out of the timing cover as you said!! the whole front suspension and the hole centre of the car like the tail pipe and tranny to the rear diff was covered in oil!!! (free semi undercoting) but yeah what had happened was that the front seal had pushed out into the crank gear and soaked everything!!! so I would say the front seal!?!?!?!? I have had gaskets go behind the oil pump in my toyota the pumps are simalar design amd it didn;t leak anything like that . do you think that maybe the previous people serviced that before you bought it??????? may be they made the same mistake I did!!!

i had my cam seals blow out on me in my 99 2.5 dohc except for me it was while i was driving. did the same thing went everywhere. i replaced the cam seals front crank seal and timing belt. no problem since. if youre going in there yourself check the water pump since it is timing belt drivin and doing that while youre in there will save time/money if it goes in the future

It all depends. Subaru's are notorious for leaking seals. I have seen them go as early at 29k. However, average is around 90-100k.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

You don't have to change it, but atleast inspect it for wear. If you have the extra coin, then go ahead and replace it for that "piece of mind".

You don't have to change it, but atleast inspect it for wear. If you have the extra coin, then go ahead and replace it for that "piece of mind".

I made that mistake too, mine tenioner went at 100k just 40k after the timing belt change. The tenionser sheared off the block and chewed the belt to crap, eventually breaking it. :mad:

I'm lucky because I have the 2.2L non interference engine.... the 2.5 the OP has is not. I'd go for the piece of mind vs. possible toasted engine.

Just my $0.02

I made that mistake too, mine tenioner went at 100k just 40k after the timing belt change. The tenionser sheared off the block and chewed the belt to crap, eventually breaking it. :mad:

I'm lucky because I have the 2.2L non interference engine.... the 2.5 the OP has is not. I'd go for the piece of mind vs. possible toasted engine.

Just my $0.02

I have seen the same.

However,we have also seen plenty of motors make it past 200k with just belt replacements. Yeah it is a good piece of mind and I offer it to the customer for that piece of mind, but they don't need it unless we deem it bad or going.

My lead technicians step son's outback has over 400k.

What's the trick to getting it to last that long? I swear I've replaced everything on this car at one point or another.

I don't think there is a trick. He definitely has replaced some parts that is for sure. He needs a trick for the body as that car looks like it has 600,000:lol:

Hey jonklein611...I see you're in Moon Twp. How are things up there? I grew up in Hopewell and my dad used to own the Moon Racquetball Club. It was up on the hill behind the old Grant's store in Moon Plaza.

So far so good... I live near hopewell... :lol:

I think that became dorms for the RMU students,

• 10 months later...

when you change the timing belt did you buy any specific tools? Did you make any tools to make the job easier? Did you just use the basic tools with some elbow grease? Im going to be doing this job next weekend and I want to be fully prepared with all the tools and parts I need. Because I need the car running back on monday again.

Thanks

You will definitely need a cam puller. I think you can loan one from Advance.

Everything else, if you have an average amount of mechanic's tools you can get it done with some improvisation. If you have the scans (if not you can find it on http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/2.5Timing.pdf) just be sure everything is torqued correctly.

You are using a new tensioner, so you can skip step 18 on there.

Archived