LegacyGT.com

Hood Scoop

no, nothing like that because you cant by design.. however I did post a thread about an ARC CF hood scoop. If you are looking for a BIG hood scoop, you will have to wait for someone making a CF (Carbon Fiber) hood with a new integrated hood scoop.

Do a search on hood scoops as I have posted a thread on such things. You will also find some other vendors making CF hoods..

Keefe

Keefe

i personally dont like the STi scoop its big and obnoxious looking.. this one gives us a hing of individuality and sporty ness.. we wont see any Bmws, mercs, and audis with any hood scoop for a long time... and its not overbearing like the sti... its sleek i love it

i personally dont like the STi scoop its big and obnoxious looking.. this one gives us a hing of individuality and sporty ness.. we wont see any Bmws, mercs, and audis with any hood scoop for a long time... and its not overbearing like the sti... its sleek i love it

I fully agree with you.

-ben

I agree too. The Legacy hood scoop fits it's personality.

Guest JessterCPA

Plus, the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) goes way down with a large scoop such as the STi.

I also heard somewhere that even though ours looks smaller, it actually is more efficient due to our body shape. Is this correct?

Jesse

What you should do is buy an STi so you have the agressive look and then swap everything from a Legacy into it so you can have whatever it is about the Legacy that you like as well. lol j/k

I bought an LGT because it doesn't look agressive. Having a subtle hood scoop makes the car more of a sleeper to unsuspecting ricers who want to race. Throwing a big hood scoop on it is like throwing a big spoiler on the back. It just draws attention and takes away from the smoothness that the Legacy was designed to have. The STi was designed to look agressive. A tame scoop like the LGT's would look funny on it. Same holds true for the other way around I feel.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Ever watch "Tuner Transformations" on SPEED? They took a silver STi and put an exhaust, FMIC and ECU tuning, swapped the hood and trunk lid for 2.5RS parts, debadged the car of all STi logos and powder-coated the wheels dark grey. Still, very agressive looking car, but toned down compared to the stock car.

Plus, the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) goes way down with a large scoop such as the STi.

I also heard somewhere that even though ours looks smaller, it actually is more efficient due to our body shape. Is this correct?

Jesse

That sounds like something a very accepting wife would say :lol:

Anyways... I like the scoop as is. I wouldn't mind a slightly bigger scoop (in a replacement hood) as long as it stayed integrated with the hood, rather then the Impreza scoops which kind of sit on top of the hood.

I haven't tested this but the Legacy's hoodscoop doesn't stick out as much as the STi's, and therefore is less effecient. It seems that the subdued Legacy hoodscoop doesn't disrupt the flow of air above the hoods and therefore doesn't "scoop out" as much air compared to the intruding STI hoodscoop, so if you are going for major power upgrades a bigger scoop would be better.

Also, one thing that has bothered me about the location of the hoodscoop is that the air it scoops has already hit the the warm-hot hood and therefore raises the air's temperature and reduces the intercooler's effect, but if they relocated the intercooler to behind the front bumper you would eliminate the hood's heating effect and increase the intercooler's effeciency because of the increased exposed surface area, but I guess looks won out.

I keed I keeed

actually, the coeff. of drag is where it matters.. the front of the bumper design is where it matters first.. if you think of driving a solid flat wall against the wind, the deflection of the air travels straight up more so than right over the top of the wall. The design on the GT's front bumper is where the money is and it is designed with a lower coeff. of drag than the STi, making it possible to have just as much air flowing into the hood scoop..

In other words, if you had to draft behind someone, which is easier to draft: An 18-wheeler or a superbike? Assume that you are the person drafting, which of the two vechicles will you, as the drafter, experience with more air turbulance.. I hope your logic say that the superbike is harder to draft than an 18 wheeler. Using this example demonstrates that the bumper (designed to have an air flow to match a superbike than an 18-wheeler) will allow more air flow into the scoop (you being the scoop).

Makes sense now?

Keefe

Keefe

Also, one thing that has bothered me about the location of the hoodscoop is that the air it scoops has already hit the the warm-hot hood and therefore raises the air's temperature and reduces the intercooler's effect

You do know there's heat-dampening material under the hood right? And I hope you know that there's the radiator as well that has air that passes through the rest of the engine bay and the hot air that gets pushed out and DOWN under the car (which creates lift).

Keefe

Keefe

And our legacy has the same coefficient as the coverette. Believe it or not.

Sedan = .28(cd)

wagon = .30(cd)

The sedan registers a coefficient of drag (Cd) of 0.28 and the wagon 0.30. A functional hood scoop supplies outside air to the engine-mounted intercooler.

Quoted by Import-heaven.net

"At 0.28 coefficient of drag, the C6 is the most aerodynamically efficient Corvette ever and has improved anti-lift characteristics that enable improved high-speed stability and confidence."

Quoted from RSportsCar.com

Also, one thing that has bothered me about the location of the hoodscoop is that the air it scoops has already hit the the warm-hot hood and therefore raises the air's temperature and reduces the intercooler's effect, but if they relocated the intercooler to behind the front bumper you would eliminate the hood's heating effect and increase the intercooler's effeciency because of the increased exposed surface area, but I guess looks won out.

Sitting on top of the engine and just above the turbo is going to cause more problems in terms of heating up the intercooler than heat transferring through the hood and into the air will.

And our legacy has the same coefficient as the coverette. Believe it or not.

I believe the coeficient of drag is a ratio of aerodynamic drag to cross section area. Since the Corvet is shorter and I'm guessing narower than the Legacy it would have less total aerodynamic drag. That being said the coeficient of drag is a good measure of how good the design is given the cross section.

A shape will have the same coeficient of drag if it is the size of a basketball, or the size of a semi truck. The larger size will have more total drag though.

Sitting on top of the engine and just above the turbo is going to cause more problems in terms of heating up the intercooler than heat transferring through the hood and into the air will.

If you look at the under hood part of the scoop, you'll notice that it ducts air past the intercooler and over the turbo heat sheild.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Correction: Turbo sits next to the intercooler, and it has a heat shield, AND it has part of the hood scoop blowing on the turbo. Intercooler sits over the transmission housing, not the engine. The water drips over the transmission housing. Heat soaks occurs when the car is not moving because the lack of airflow.. once the car gets moving, the intercooler is fine. This design is FAR better than the OEM SIDE-MOUNT intercoolers found on OEM Mitsu Eclipse and such other cars that installs the intercooler on the side of the bumper area than the direct front of the car.

Keefe

Keefe

I agree that the LGT looks good as is. I also agree that an STi scopp would make it look like a beast. Not sure that is the look most people are goign for when they purchase the LGT.

It would be nice to have options out there for those that wish to purchase a larger scoop though.

BTW, nice info one coefficient of drag.

You do know there's heat-dampening material under the hood right? And I hope you know that there's the radiator as well that has air that passes through the rest of the engine bay and the hot air that gets pushed out and DOWN under the car (which creates lift).

Keefe

Even though there is heat-dampening material, the hood can get warm-hot if you've got a sunny day, especially with an Obisidian Black car. Also, even though the turbo has a heat shield the hood still becomes very hot to the touch after a hard drive.

I keed I keeed

Archived