LegacyGT.com

Pirelli's potholes & 18in rims

robertsm99

HLEP!!!!

So, I've had my Spec-B for 38 days and have changed out the factory summer 18's to all season PZero Nero M&S PINNA about a week after I had my car and last week(12/29) hit a pothole in Chicago, blew my left front tire. Changed it out went to work etc. Called tire rack that day and got a replacement tire 1/2 price since the tire was only 2.5 weeks old (less than 600 miles on them). So tonight was driving home, hit a different pothole which I didn't see or know about, in my neighborhood (across the street from my apt actually) and blew BOTH left side tires (of course the one I JUST replaced last week).

Are the Pirelli's that terrible of a tire, that they just blow at any hard hit? Is it the 18" rims and the lower profile tires that make them not last? I don't understand.

Pictures included are the 1st pothole hit, then the 2nd pothole and the look of my left front tire after the hit tonight.

Seriously I can't understand how tires fail like this after less than 1000 miles. Is tirerack.com legit or are they scammers and selling aged tires that will rupture at the first bump?

I already filed claim to the city of chicago for pothole damage after first tire blow out, and will be doing so again after this incident. Hope they pay out something, because it's ridiculious the amount of potholes and the stupid patch work they do around town.

I've lived in Chi for about 1.25yrs now, had my '05 LGT with 17's with BFGoodrich's and hit plenty of potholes with no issue of blowouts or anything of the sort. So, is it the 18's, tire rack, pirelli's, a curse upon my car, or what?

PC300305.thumb.jpg.623ddce89113156391a49a6950509e62.jpg

PC300306.jpg.3c43789c980cd33d4e17a55265d41bb6.jpg

P1070345.jpg.e63ff9ef8d79a8cb6cd2c1f0b8dda58f.jpg

P1070339.jpg.428ab49297a1fb3b25f9229f52957d4e.jpg

P1070342.jpg.d8e19255af9ac4252425eab018c6214e.jpg

P1070347.jpg.d904363650ebdb1c698134eb7e8a945c.jpg

What was your fill-pressure?

Tire sizing?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

yeah, WAY easier said than done. Trying swerving out the way to avoid one crater, hit another. it's the way of Chicago, pretty much unavoidable. Street was dark, no street lights didn't see it.

See the way they prefer to repair potholes in chicago is to dump a little bit of asphalt into the whole and walk away. instead of spending a summer/season resurfacing the roads, they just treat it like a boo-boo and attempt to patch it up until it looks something similiar to what I hit and then maybe try to patch it up once again.

But that's what I get for living in Crook county! I guess...

Considering getting the 2nd set of wheels, just need to hit the lotto first, or maybe sell my 1st 3 kids on ebay, give up a kidney and who knows what else....

yeah, WAY easier said than done. Trying swerving out the way to avoid one crater, hit another. it's the way of Chicago, pretty much unavoidable. Street was dark, no street lights didn't see it.

+1.

Same here in metro-Cleveland.

It's been especially bad this year, with the drastic weather swings, as well as the fact that many townships are cutting-back on road-maintenance, due to the economy.

Considering getting the 2nd set of wheels, just need to hit the lotto first, or maybe sell my 1st 3 kids on ebay, give up a kidney and who knows what else....

:lol:

I've tried to do the same, to get a Brabus Bullit. My wife wasn't very happy with me when I pulled that stunt.....

OK, no, seriously, what was your fill pressures? Tire sizing?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

I know how bad Cleve can get, grew up there east side. it was never as bad as what I've seen there.

Tires were 215/45R18's and pressure I'm not entirely sure of but seeing as I just had the left front replaced a week before, I'll give firestone the benefit of the doubt in that they filled it up properly.

Plus it was about 27 out when I hit it, not that that matters since I had already made the 40min commute home and was just coming back from the store, so the tires couldn't have been that cold.

I know how bad Cleve can get, grew up there east side. it was never as bad as what I've seen there.

There's one on the CWRU main campus, now, that will swallow toddlers and little old women, whole..... :p

Tires were 215/45R18's and pressure I'm not entirely sure of but seeing as I just had the left front replaced a week before, I'll give firestone the benefit of the doubt in that they filled it up properly.

I'm a trusting soul, like you. :) But when my wife's newly mounted tires rolled out of the local NTB, they were quite a bit off - each one. :lol:

Hopefully, what you'd experienced was just an anomaly - or maybe there's a hidden sharp edge in that hole you ran into?

I'd still give it a check-and-see, though, the next time, before you roll out of the store's parking lot, with your own tire-gauge. If things out there are as busy as how it gets here, for tire-shops, at this time of the year, something falling through the cracks is almost inevitable, no matter how hard they try to be perfect every time.

I feel your pain! I was in greater Chicago last weekend visiting my brother and hit a pothole while avoiding a different one and bent a wheel........ Seeing how bad it is there, I'd get a set of steel wheels for the winter. Plus that way you could get some of them there plastic chrome spinner hubcaps:spin: Sorry I couldn't resist the hubcap remark.

^ I seem to remember someone inquiring, of Subaru of America, if 17-inch steel rims would be doable on the LGT. The official reply was "no," due to weight concerns..... :(

Yep :( , apparently, that member was pretty concerned about the roads in his area, and really wanted to pursue the 17-inch steelie option. He thought it would be best to e-mail Subaru, to check and be sure (and to see if they had any sources for him to follow, as he had a hard time getting 17-inch steelies), and their official stance was that it would put too much strain on the mechanical components.

Archived