LegacyGT.com

Overhead GPS install

spartan

Hey guys, just wanted to show you the GPS mount that I made tonight. I used the blank space on the map light cover. I wired it in to turn on instead of the map light on the drivers side, because I wanted to be able to turn it on and off without a cord dangling everywhere. I broke apart the cigarette lighter adapter and soldered the guts to some lead wires that I put on the map light terminals. The unit is mounted using a disassembled factory windshield mount and a hole drilled in the cover. Looks good from the drivers seat, kind of on the same line of sight as the rear view mirror. I also put it there because I don't like having any thing really visible to people walking past the car. The downsides are that the map light can be turned on without the key in the car, which means it could drain power if you forget to turn it off. Also, someone could still easily see it by ducking their head down and looking inside. Here are some pictures:

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/6934/20040101image0004ch0.jpg

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/6460/20040101image0003bu6.jpg

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/7108/20040101image0001cw3.jpg

It's not that awkward, just a little bit above the rear view mirror.

You are right. It is downright D A N G E R O U S to take your eyes off the road. it is bad enough - but no solutions - to gaze in the rearview mirror - but at least it is an equalizer - everyone has to do it. And the RVM is at least somewhat within your upper peripheral vision. For this, you have to take your eyes completely off the road...So what happens of you wanna look up an address or some detail on the map ? stop the car ? In the middle of an intersection ? Not to mention the signal. It 'may" work fine there - but get in an urban or natural canyon or mountains and...you will not get signal.

If I were a cop - I would give you a hefty fine for dengerous modifications to the car.

Should look at how people mount it in the cubby. And power it from elsewhere.

For your installation - I give you an ULTIMATE FAIL - and has absolutely nothing to do with your skills but with your decision to mount it there.

"Eyes-on-road" was why I finally decided to place my mount to the dash, right above the center console cubby area (with a left-side bias, but the unit faces direct-rear, so that both me and the passenger can use it).

I tried several locations, in an attempt to figure out which spot would be the most accessible (reach), as well as allow me best "eyes-on-road," should I ever need to look at the screen while driving.

It's also why I've got my HK Drive+Play way down at the base of the windshield, in-line with my gauges which span from the A-pillar junction to the console, it also pushes the unit as far into my secondary line-of-sight as possible, to minimize the need for me to take my eyes completely off-roadway.

I like the OP's placement in terms of integration and getting it out-of-the-way (and out of cursory prying eyes)....but having tried ancillary gauges (the GReddy Informeter) as well as Anna's "baby mirror" up just above the interior rearview, that's a pretty hard area to really take-in any information, much less interact.....

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived