LegacyGT.com

Fire!!

mwiener2

yea, I saw that driving home from work today. Looks pretty large - this insane wind isn't helping either. Reports of 100mph gusts in Boulder County. I was getting tossed around on 93 with the wind driving home. All the lights got blown backwards, I even lost all radio reception for awhile!

brian

• 1 year later...
^^Ya no doubt at least it might buy you a few minutes. I can only imagine what its like up there. The view down here from arvada is nasty looking. Looks like its gonna rain but its just the smoke from the fire. Kinda bad on the allergies as well. Good luck hopefully your house will be ok.

I guess I forgot to update....

FIRE!!!

My brother lives closer to the mtns than me. He had to come over to my place cause his was too full of smoke. Fire is no where near my place or my brother's though.

The fire bomber's fly over my place on their way out. There's alot of them.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

^^Ya no doubt at least it might buy you a few minutes. I can only imagine what its like up there. The view down here from arvada is nasty looking. Looks like its gonna rain but its just the smoke from the fire. Kinda bad on the allergies as well. Good luck hopefully your house will be ok.

One of the local fire trucks burned down in the fire already....

Winning the internet

Yeah

City takes precautions in advance of high winds; urges residents to remain vigilant and prepare for possible evacuations

Forecasters are calling for wind gusts as high as 50 mph starting after about 6 p.m. today, Thursday, Sept. 9, and lasting into early morning hours. The City of Boulder is taking several measures to help protect residents and structures should these winds push the Fourmile Canyon wildfire into the city limits.

City officials are working with employees from fire, police, Open Space and Mountain Parks, public works and Parks and Recreation to put mitigation, evacuation and other emergency plans in effect. Some specific efforts include mowing grass along the western edge of the city to reduce fuel around residential areas, planning for possible evacuations and sharing information with our community.

"We are certainly hoping for the best, but as a city, we are doing the very things we would urge residents to do – staying vigilant and planning for the worst," said City Manager Jane S. Brautigam. "While city neighborhoods have been spared a direct impact so far, this remains a volatile situation. There are concerns about the fire's path becoming less predictable and the possibility of spot fires from embers."

Residents who live west of Broadway are specifically encouraged to take the following actions:

· Clear out lawns and western areas, removing all combustibles, including firewood, lawn furniture, play equipment, grills and propane tanks.

· Do not put propane tanks inside garages. Move them to the east side of your home in a highly visible location.

· Mow tall grass and remove extra brush from the west side of your home.

· Make certain that all windows on the west side of your home are closed and keep all interior doors closed. Keep your porch light and all exterior lights on.

· Make sure you have gas in your car and park your vehicle pointed in the direction of the road.

· Prepare your take-away kit with important documents, photos, medications and other significant items and put it in your car.

· Consider making shelter arrangements with friends and family members, if possible, for you and your pets.

Brautigam, Fire Chief Larry Donner, Police Chief Mark Beckner and other city officials have been in continual communication with county, state and federal authorities, monitoring the fire and its possible impacts on the City of Boulder. The city has also provided significant resources to the firefighting, communication and evacuee support efforts.

"We are incredibly grateful for all of the work firefighters from near and far have done since Monday, and we are committed to continuing to help in all ways that we can," Brautigam said. "We hope for good news soon, but we want our residents to know that the danger has not yet passed. This is an ideal time for families to develop a plan that could be implemented on a moment's notice."

The fire department website includes a great deal of information about wildfires, including specific tips on preparing for possible evacuations. This site can be accessed at: http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2408&Itemid=779.

The city also encourages all residents to monitor local news reports and check for up-to-date official information at http://www.boulderoem.com. If you have not already done so, sign up for emergency text alerts at http://www.boco911alert.com.

If a request to evacuate becomes necessary, residents are urged to do so immediately to help save lives and give firefighters the ability to bring in necessary equipment and crews to protect properties.

"If we reach an emergency situation, we will do everything we can to respond," Brautigam said. "We will need full cooperation from residents. I know we can count on that from our community."

Winning the internet

Archived