LegacyGT.com

wiper heater causing windshield to crack?

If it doesn't disturb your vision and you don't get complaints from the cops you can at least wait for a while.

quote]

i have a $0 deductable and if the crack is more than 6inches they replace it. i dont even has to call the glass place my insurance does everything. i just tell them if i want it done at home or at there place

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

apexjr-

The police in oregon will ticket you if there is any crack in the window, its just a fix-it ticket so it's not that big of deal other than having to go to court to show them that you fixed the problem, but cops can pull you over for it no matter where in the window it is.

I'm in up in Canada... I got a rock chip while I was driving about 30 mins in on a roadtrip. 5 hours later, it's spread to about 12" long, going from the left edge of the window towards the center.

Last night it was -38C, so I use the defroster and wiper heater all the time. (Actually right now I'm waiting for someone to give me a boost, because of a frozen battery.)

Anyways, I'm going to wait until after spring to replace it, but if I go into a glass shop, does anyone know of any specific brands I should ask for? specifically ones that have the heating elements.

• 2 months later...

I have had to replace my windshield twice on my 2006 Legacy GT Ltd Wagon. The windshield has cracked when I utilize the wiper heater in conjunction with defrost and the external temp is below freezing. The cracks originate around the windshield heating element and not from a rock chip. The first incident was with less than 1000 miles on the car and the dealer wouldn't warranty as they did the pen test and found a chip higher in the windshield the crack had "found" so I had to use my insurance. The second was 3 weeks ago and Safelite came to look at it and replaced it yesterday under warranty.

Replacement Auto Glass

USAA (My insurance provider) directed me to use a certain auto glass place in town, and they deal with Safelite. I didn't have the option for OEM replacement, and the OEM windshield had strips (assumedly for heat conduction) above the heating elements, where the Safelite that's on there now doesn't.

I haven't actually called to get it replaced yet, it just happened Monday after I was out of town for a week. I would normally pursue warranty replacement through Subaru, but I don't want to deal with SOA for windshield replacement. They'll probably claim I misused the vehicle by not driving it for a week, and then void the entire warranty.

For usaa was there a deductable or lower than?

• 1 year later...

Bumping this up....

I want to replace my windshield as well...but wanted to know if the heating element was attached to the actual glass or was embedded towards the front of the dash. Im worried that if i get my windshield replaced...can I still use the wiper heater or if there will be any problems.

I want to replace it before it starts getting cold out.

The element is part of the windshield ( not sure if it's embedded or overlayed such as a rear defroster). When you call to get a replacement they should ask if you have a heated windshield. If they don't make sure to let them know you do. It wll cost more, but chances are you're gonna meet your deductable irregardless.

I actually had an '05 Impreza W/O heated windshield and they couldn't get me a regular windshield due to backorders, so the glass company just put in one with a heated element. Didn't cost me a cent more, as it was greater than my deductible.

Archived