LegacyGT.com

Superpro LCA bushings... walking out of the arm! EEK!

Yes, I am cursed, no doubt.

<---- picking up my subframe with Group N bushings from Dentsport today. Keep the fingers crossed. I may need it :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Update... the shop replaced the arms free of charge - updated post #1.

Also thanks to member sportwagon, who as a courtesy to the shop owner piggybacked the arms to his order for other parts from KOP. :wub:

Update... the shop replaced the arms free of charge - updated post #1.

Also thanks to member sportwagon, who as a courtesy to the shop owner piggybacked the arms to his order for other parts from KOP. :wub:

Thanks Uncle!

Technically... I pretty much bought them for you... until my car is all finished up and I settle up everything with Fastrack! But, by doing so I got them Waaaaay cheaper than anywhere the shop would have bought them for! KOP = Fred Beene now!

Anyway.... I am glad that you are holding some new aluminum in your hands now!

Oh, and while I was at the shop today to drop off the adjustable rear links, I was able to get under my car (which was up on the lift with the tranny out and a new clutch installed) I got a real good look at my aluminum arms and superpro bushings... Theye are sitting pretty! :cool:

Good luck with the rest of the install!

-sportwagon

• 2 months later...

UPDATE #3: Sportwagon offered me Unclemat's old aluminum LCAs that had one of his bushings walk out a little. They are technically offered from Fastrack Automotive in Peabody, MA. I was told that the inside of the LCAs had some slight gouges, but was not made aware of the fact that it was severe enough to allow a bushing to start to walk out. I just found out thanks to this thread and my kind friend Unclemat.

This previously missing piece of information does not make me happy!

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Wow.

Both arms have damage. One from which the bushing walked out has a spot "crushed", which effectively enarlged the diameter of the hole slightly. The other one has multple gouges inside - the bushing in that one didn't not walk out, perhaps it would not, who knows.

Bottom line these arms should not be sold to anyone. This is irresponsible.

UPDATE #3: Sportwagon offered me Unclemat's old aluminum LCAs that had one of his bushings walk out a little. They are technically offered from Fastrack Automotive in Peabody, MA. I was told that the inside of the LCAs had some slight gouges, but was not made aware of the fact that it was severe enough to allow a bushing to start to walk out. I just found out thanks to this thread and my kind friend Unclemat.

This previously missing piece of information does not make me happy!

ClimberD: The LCAs were shown to me while I was at Fastrack and I saw the gouges in the aluminum, and I made sure to clearly convey that information to you (if you don't agree with me there, then I appologize and will find a way to make good on it to you if need be)...

I was under the impression that the AVO bushings, which I directed you to purchase if you were to go with these arms, would completely eliminate the "walking out" or "wandering out" issues with ANY LCA. The LCAs here were known to have scratches and gouges from the pressing in/out, but the wandering bushings are not limited to these specific LCAs, right? I thought that there were many cases of this happening with tracked cars, and that is why AVO started offering the LCA bushings with the lips, which completely eliminate the chances of this happening! I would assume that this would prevent them from slipping on the particular LCAs in question, too.

If it turns out that you are at all skeptical, please let me know what I can do to make things right here!

As you can see... I am not going to let you get screwed here!

If uncle doesn't want you to use these arms for any reason (or if you don't feel comfortable using them for any reason) I will reimburse you out of my own pocket for the AVO bushings that you already purchased!

Wow.

Both arms have damage. One from which the bushing walked out has a spot "crushed", which effectively enarlged the diameter of the hole slightly. The other one has multple gouges inside - the bushing in that one didn't not walk out, perhaps it would not, who knows.

Bottom line these arms should not be sold to anyone. This is irresponsible.

Uncle,

You know how much I trust and respect your opinion on these forums and in general when it comes to Legacys.

So, If you feel that these LCAs should only be effectively utilized by raising the level of a recycled aluminum melting pot... then I will have no more part in this process.

You know that I am an honest and responsible member of the community and I in no way want to be part of anything that smells fishy!

I am in no way benefiting from this transaction, I have nothing invested here, so hence I have no desire to see these LCAs moved on...

The only reason I am involved is because I was under the impression that these LCAs would be 100% useable for someone else (with AVO bushings) since you were given new ones. ClimberD was interested in them, in order to get away from the Perrin PSR, and Fastrack is trying to clear out the mess in their shop! I am not making any money here, so it isn't a big deal to me if these LCAs get recycled...

However, the fact that ClimberD has now invested partially into these LCAs is now partially my responsibiity, so I will purchase the AVO bushings from him to make things right...

AVO bushings won't do a jack in this case. They have the lip on the top so all they can do is to prevent the bushing walking out towards the bottom. The bushing on one of these LCAs walked towards the top - see the picture.

I think the lip on the AVOs is bit of a bullshit. Superpro have perfectly the same diameter like stock. If pressed it correctly there should be no problems with them. I had another set before and they didn't move a bit.

Seriously the arms are a safety hazard and should not be sold to anyone, at least not without full disclosure of what happened before. I imagine someone adventurous could take his chances and fix them in one of the ways suggested here (like set screw to lock the bushing in place), but I would not recommend doing that. It's not a part you want to pop out under load during hard driving conditions. Recipe for disaster.

It's mind boggling that apparently Fastrack owner really thinks it's not his tech's shoddy press-in job that's at fault here and he is apparently trying to sell them.

Nothing lost on the AVO bushings. I was going to get them anyways, and I already had a backup seller partially lined up with regular LCAs.

As for my above post, it is accurate. There is a big difference between some gouging that is aesthetically displeasing, and a deformed bushing housing.

As for the aluminum LCAs in question, I would like to see them in person this Saturday morning if that can be arranged. I'm curious about this.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Nothing lost on the AVO bushings. I was going to get them anyways, and I already had a backup seller partially lined up with regular LCAs.

As for my above post, it is accurate. There is a big difference between some gouging that is aesthetically displeasing, and a deformed bushing housing.

As for the aluminum LCAs in question, I would like to see them in person this Saturday morning if that can be arranged. I'm curious about this.

As I have stated before... I am only the middle man here!

I was shown the LCAs by Scott at Fastrack and he pointed out the gouges and scratching but didn't mention any deformations. I should have remembered to check this thread to see more info... Or, asked Unlce, so that is why I feel partially "in the wrong" here...

I wasn't asked by Fastrack to sell them! I just remembered that they had them kicking around when I saw your post looking for LCAs...

I thought that I described there condition adequately... but offered to get pictures for you upon request. I think at this point, the best thing is for you to decide based on your own judgement and feedback from Uncle!

As I have stated before... I am only the middle man here!

I was shown the LCAs by Scott at Fastrack and he pointed out the gouges and scratching but didn't mention any deformations. I should have remembered to check this thread to see more info... Or, asked Unlce, so that is why I feel partially "in the wrong" here...

I wasn't asked by Fastrack to sell them! I just remembered that they had them kicking around when I saw your post looking for LCAs...

I thought that I described there condition adequately... but offered to get pictures for you upon request. I think at this point, the best thing is for you to decide based on your own judgement and feedback from Uncle!

Alright no worries, I'm not upset at you. Just the guy at fastrack.

• 2 weeks later...

Unclemat

In post #3 you mentioned the new Sti Group N will fit a LGT. Do you know if its a direct fit? I have contacted my local Suby dealer, the 08 WRX and 05 LGT part numbers are slightly different. A few suppliers believe they are identical other than the over all height. If the Group N will fit I would prefer to use it over PU.

• 5 weeks later...

Bumping this up. My rear leaft LCA Bushing is going bad as well. I figure I may just replace it with this http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servlet/the-986/Perrin-Subaru-Legacy-GT/Detail

Is anyone running this? I assume it replaces the stock bushing :) I figure it will cost somebody just as much to buy the AVO Bushings and have them installed into the stock rear setup. Let me know what ya'll think.

Bumping this up. My rear leaft LCA Bushing is going bad as well. I figure I may just replace it with this http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servlet/the-986/Perrin-Subaru-Legacy-GT/Detail

Is anyone running this? I assume it replaces the stock bushing :) I figure it will cost somebody just as much to buy the AVO Bushings and have them installed into the stock rear setup. Let me know what ya'll think.

I'm running the 4BOXPARTS Rear LCAs and they have been perfect. Not sure if he's still selling these but there were a less expensive alternative to the Perrin bits, at the slight expense of weight (4BP's are all steel).

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

^Does it replace the stock LCA bushing? I think I saw that thread awhile back. DO they allow you to customize camber/caster?

I guess they are pretty much the same as the Perrins at a better cost.

Happy with them?

Dude, aren't you confusing front and rear of the car?

The rear in LCA refers to the bushing location in the rear of the FRONT lower control arms. The car doesn't have control arms in the rear but trailing arms and lateral links.

^I guess I am some what confused. I do know it is a bushing in the rear. It may be a trailing arm bushing (if there is one). I guess lateral links will not help me, unless Perrin's setup replaces the stock setup (and the bushing I have that is going bad).

Aluminum is not a very forgiving material to work with. The bushings I have done were all on iron control arms, which are pretty hard to damage. Worst case you could knurl the aluminum arms the "stake" the bushings in with a punch or a chisel.

Dude, aren't you confusing front and rear of the car?

The rear in LCA refers to the bushing location in the rear of the FRONT lower control arms. The car doesn't have control arms in the rear but trailing arms and lateral links.

Are there bushings in the rear OEM trailing arms and lateral links. I will try to pinpoint the wearing bushing by the end of the week.

Archived