LegacyGT.com

Got bored, A little Grill DIY

FrozenNorthLGT

So over New Years I was itchin for a project, so I decided to change the grill up a bit, the stock wings were just too flashy for me, and reminded me occasionally of a Taurus, Impala, and a couple others.

Finished pics on the car will be up shortly, It was too late tonight to take any decent pics with it mounted.

100_1558.thumb.jpg.c262b3a98eec9239248495295b3680c6.jpg

100_1540.thumb.jpg.d0d940c009a5d639984e05e12fb29e17.jpg

100_1541.thumb.jpg.fae0d802b1e7c8c5a7acc24997e9711f.jpg

100_1551.thumb.jpg.bcd4d2d4491a9f7f181a236f32a76eb2.jpg

100_1552.thumb.jpg.abd0cbc853cae87d2dea4c590f81ade4.jpg

Ok, it was decent enough out today to snap some pics of the grill installed. All in all I'm very pleased with it. The color is slightly lighter than the rest of the grill, but I wasn't as much concerned with a perfect match as toning down the wings. The metallic in the paint I used is almost perfect though, so it matched just right in that respect.

100_1572.thumb.jpg.15fcdf13bfeff5fbc42f553867469fbb.jpg

100_1573.thumb.jpg.a7caec4cbf952d12d52ce9d8ed057e7c.jpg

100_1574.thumb.jpg.175dca6e117d774e44681eb14d95bcc6.jpg

100_1575.thumb.jpg.f98b6b1847c9ea4a3ed3d363dcb4d486.jpg

100_1576.thumb.jpg.0ef1147dffad0b01ad3ef6a573f3ae07.jpg

It's called "Storm Gray Metallic" from Advance Auto Parts where I work. Part number T414. I just used a green scotch brite cleaning pad to scuff the wings up good, after cleaning them with soap and warm water. Wash off any dust or traces of the scrubby pad and let them air dry well. Then I gave them somewhere between 5 and 10 coats...lol...I like to be thourough. I let the paint sit 15 minutes between coats, in about 80* temps. Since its most definatly winter out right now I let it sit inside for two days before installing. The paint has a slightly rough texture to it if you apply it in lighter coats which I did. You might be able to get a smoother finish with it if you finished with a heavy coat, but I wanted it to have a "duller" finish as apposed to glossy, so I left it. It is slightly lighter than the stock grill, but it's just fine for me, and much better than the chrome. I'm leaving the chrome surround for now, because the wheels I'm planning on using for summer are chrome. (Not exactally what I'd like, but I already have them, with summer tires on them, from another car of mine.) That way somthing else on the car will match the wheels. Once I get different summer wheels, I will either paint the surround to match, or the entire grill this color.

Duplicolor Storm Gray? - matches a VW color, IIRC. Used the same thing on one of our ceiling fans, looks great!
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Yeah I like the roughness of it too...might be a b*tch to clean since texture likes to hold dirt, but Ill manage. And yes OhBe1, it's Duplicolor Storm Gray Metallic....and givin that piece of information, I shall now ask people "Guess what my LGT has in common with a ceiling fan?"...lol :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, it was decent enough out today to snap some pics of the grill installed. All in all I'm very pleased with it. The color is slightly lighter than the rest of the grill, but I wasn't as much concerned with a perfect match as toning down the wings. The metallic in the paint I used is almost perfect though, so it matched just right in that respect.

very nice work and original approach :)

if it's of any use to you, duplicolor cast iron coat (engine paint) applied over a base coat of any black (i've used DC universal black, DC semi-gloss black engine) is essentially a perfect match to the factory charcoal exterior trim color (headlights/grill) ;)

IMG_0222.thumb.jpg.3232b85f267e24319f8196d9378cc5a0.jpg

agreed

too bad I'm too much of a puss to venture into taking my grille off

:(

I can't stand the chrome wings

Are you kidding me? It is like 4 screws then it pulls out. I took mine off gutted the wing myself and did the whole DIY wingless grill. The only thing I didn't do was the bondo and paint. I knew a body shop guy for that.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn32/bradlgt21/Legacy%20GT/DSC04064.jpg

Are you kidding me? It is like 4 screws then it pulls out. I took mine off gutted the wing myself and did the whole DIY wingless grill. The only thing I didn't do was the bondo and paint. I knew a body shop guy for that.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn32/bradlgt21/Legacy%20GT/DSC04064.jpg

No I'm not kidding you

Didn't realize it's that easy

Congrats

Nice grille

Likewise....:lol:

I don't think I copied you...lol, though I did look at a lot of threads on grills before I decided I didnt like any of the aftermarket ones.

madjik: Yeah it's really not a big project, two pop tabs that can be done with a screwdriver, or panel poppers make it really easy, and the regular subaru pop-its, the unclip it and it comes right out. I was a little hesitant too, cause noone here really has a good walkthough, but once you take it out you will realize there isnt one bcause its that easy, no need for one.

underpowerd: Does the Cast Iron engine paint have any metallic to it....I remember looking at it at work, but deciding on the Storm Grey in the end...and I dont remember if it was because of metallic content or color. I wanted them to be noticibly different than the trim black, but not the bling bling look at me chrome...

underpowerd: Does the Cast Iron engine paint have any metallic to it....I remember looking at it at work, but deciding on the Storm Grey in the end...and I dont remember if it was because of metallic content or color. I wanted them to be noticibly different than the trim black, but not the bling bling look at me chrome...

it's a little sparkly, but i'm not sure it's metallic. it looks a lot more like the factory plastic than any 'cast iron' i've ever seen though ;)

it's not bling or stand-out at all; with a black base coat, it really is a near perfect match for the lgt's charcoal trim. i've got a few more headlight pics, but no grill, since unfortunately OBP has an odd look without the blingwings IMHO.

bottom of the page: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3737&page=18

hope that helps at all.

-- that looks very sharp on SWP, Sno :)

Why did no one paint the chrome ring around the edge? I am thinking that would look really good if all the chrome (besides suby badge) was gone. I wanted to buy a grill but I may just do this instead as it accomplishes what I want without costing to much money :)

Why did no one paint the chrome ring around the edge? I am thinking that would look really good if all the chrome (besides suby badge) was gone. I wanted to buy a grill but I may just do this instead as it accomplishes what I want without costing to much money :)

Simple, I didnt want to. It states why in one of my other posts. Plenty of people have painted the ring...to each their own...

Sorry, not hating I just wanted to see one. Did a search though and found just what I was looking for. I always say the same thing (to each their own), cars are very personal and the only person that has to like it is the owner no one else really matters :)

Archived